Strange Issue

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
So im workin on a brothers computer which has two accounts, admin (my dad whihc is only used to install/uninstall items) and Limited ( his). Well i installed two games The First Decade and the New LOTR games for my bro. I also added that new HD i mentioned here and i ditched avg for NOD32, installed the new itunes and winamp. So i noticed that i couldnt save anyting to the desktop from the internet..NOTING, but like a word doc i could even after restarts. SO ilogged onto his account. He had the old windows 95 look, the wireless internet wouldnt let him connect with an error(ill get that tomorrow for ya) andi couldnt add icons to the desktop (my computer...so on). After that weirdness, i chnaged his account to admin, the basic theme was back and the internet worked. I know its a lot of weirdness, but does anyone have an idea of what this may be? I left nod running a scan and ill go over and check it in the morning.....OH..also the ics/windows firwall would start.....so please feel free to RANT all about this and help me through....

...also the ics/windows firwall would start......
if that is what i thinnk you mean - does it niot always throw itself up if it thinks there is no firewall or Internet connection?

I am guessing a hijackthis! log may not go amiss here....

so im on the computer, i unistalled nod 32 the LOTR game and the first decade, not it all works...but hereis the log

I had a similar issue using a USRobotics Wireless card for my laptop. It would appear that you needed administrator rights for the Wireless Software to run. I could therefore connect to the network, my family, who all had limited accounts, could not.

I had a similar issue using a USRobotics Wireless card for my laptop. It would appear that you needed administrator rights for the Wireless Software to run. I could therefore connect to the network, my family, who all had limited accounts, could not.
good lateral thinking Dwarf... I've had this with a Netgear also... could happen with any wireless situation - in my case I resolved it by connecting with admin then switching accounts, but that will not always be an option...

I wonder if this comp was wifi?

Well as for your desktop... do you get an error that says that you don't have sufficiant access privleges? You could probably fix that by unchecking the desktop's "read only" box on the properties menu - Use the admin account and go to Documents and Settings/~whatever your brother's username is~/ I think this is where the desktop folder is located on pc - just right click your desktop folder and select properties.

As for wifi - if it is wifi - you must give access to the program that the wifi card/adapter is using. I'm not sure how to do this on pc - as it's been awhile since I shared an account on a pc - but when you installed the drivers, you probably had a prompt that said to install for "this user only" (which would be on your dad's account) or "all users of this computer".

-tc

ok ok the log wasnt there..oops...well i took off nod and the admin account was fine, but the limited acount was still bein crap, so i just backed up his stuff and deleted the account and made him a new one....works great..weird though...

just sounds like a corrupt account, i've had this a few times myself, but mostly with dial-up accounts like msn.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back