Strange Internet Gateway

M

maddog573

Ok check this out, in my Network properties in XP Pro it shows my normal 2 NET connections. Local and 1234 or something like that. Now in the last week a weird one has popped up on mine and my fathers computer upstairs we both run Norton Firewall and I run XP firewall and norton on my system which is connected to Cable modem. This Internet gateway says it goes to some computer name not on our network. I've disabled it and cut off the connection from using any services on both computer but XP will not let me delete the Internet gateway. Is it possible for someone to connect to my computer setup an internet gateway remotely with both XP firewall and Norton firewall running??? ANyone have this happen? Know you to replicate it or completly rid my system of this.

Well since I've disabled it there is no properties on it at the moment but heres the other stuff.

Internet Gateway

Internet Connection on C456382-a
disabled
Internet Connection

Then there is my normal stuff under another sub menu.

LAN or High-Speed Conntection

Local Area Connection - This is my home network
Enabled
Intel 10/100+

1394 Connection - this is my Cable modem access
Enabled
1394 Adapter

Anyone got a clue? Says there is no other users connected and no other strange processes running and no other weird activity as of late. Just that Icon in my Network properties.
:( :(

um your cable modem is firewire??? 1394 = firewire...i've never seen a firewall cable modem

and do you have remote desktop enabled at all?

No, my cable modem is not firewire?!? Where didn you get that Idea? Yes, I do have any remote desking turned off.

[QUOTE
1394 Connection - this is my Cable modem access
Enabled
1394 Adapter

[/QUOTE]

Thats where I got the impression your cable modem was firewire, I quoted your above post. Firewire is the only thing that uses a 1394 connection

Did you by chance upgraded the firmware on your router recently? If you have the linksys router and updated to the latest firmware there is a new feature (service called uPnP) under the password tab in the router setup. I had same "internet gateway" icon pop up on my system and had no idea where it came from. If thats your case just disable that feature in router setup and the icon will go away.

I don't have a router either... seems I've stumped you guys.

That is interesting. What brand of computer is this or is it self built? I have 2 systems from Alienware and to help customers with problems they have "remote gateway" setup and with your permission they can remotely log onto your computer to troubleshot problems if necessary. However, I dont know if thats what's happening on your end but you said that you are on a cable modem so maybe you are seeing your node gateway on your cable network?

It's was a Compaq, but that's just basicly the case now. I've gutted the inside with my own stuff. Not sure either guess I'll never know. If someone did manage to hack into my system and setup a gateway sure would like to know that back-door.. but maybe it's a fluke... its disabled now and doesn't seem to be letting anyone use it just wish I could delete it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back