Strange freezes in XP

M

MajorAccident

I've been having a strange problem lately. Whenever I run internet programs that use the Explorer structure (Internet Explorer, Outlook, KaZaa, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, etc), the program freezes. I open the task manager and the program is "Not Responding". I'll hit End Now and it closes and everything is fine. Other programs like Netscape or games all work fine.
When the program freezes and I don't open the task manager, after about 10 seconds, my modem will disconnect and try to redial, only to be unsuccessful due to the port being left open. I've been using the same hardware and OS for almost a year and this problem just started about a month ago. I've installed all the service packs and updates and all the newest drivers and nothing helps. I didn't change anything when it started happening, it just started screwing up.

Anyone know what might be happening and how to correct this?

My computer:
Dell 1.4 Ghz Pentium 3
256 MB PC133 RAM
30 GB HD
Windows XP Pro
64 MB nVidia GeForce 4
Soundblaster 16
Creative v.92 56k
Sony 8x4x32 CD-RW

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back