Strange Crashes...

Abbadon2001

OSNN Addict
Been having a few strange crashes since i put my new sata drive in and put my 120 system drive on the sata bus on a converter card. Comp will lok up without warning - no stuttering or slow down under load - this often occurs when imjust reading a website or even just sleeping - with pc left on. Havnt got a clue why - is there any way for me to find out whats doing it ? I woke up this morning t find it had happpened again - and also this time all my mozilla favourites were gone, the top bar links had all dissapeared also :confused: very weird.

Does it freeze or bsod?

If it is a bsod, check out windows/minidump/ and post any logs that might appear.

Look for the followings:

1) Virus - you never know from where they may come up
2) At the time of the lock try to look your task manager and see if any program is either consuming too much memory or % of your RAM
3) Read your event viewer and seek for alerts
4) Try cleaning your pc from any beta that you may have ,as they may cause problems
5) If your pc is o/c, return it to normal settings

ok, how do i get to the event log?

theres no bsod, i cant get to task manager when it happens, either nothing responds - or if it was in standby when it did it i cant get monitor to come back on - as mouse dont do nout!
Virus wise im pprotected very well, and firewalled, spyware protected etc... so i dont think thats the cause.
Im not overclocked at all, and this windows install is prety new - no betas etc...

Abbadon2001 said:
ok, how do i get to the event log?

theres no bsod, i cant get to task manager when it happens, either nothing responds - or if it was in standby when it did it i cant get monitor to come back on - as mouse dont do nout!
Virus wise im pprotected very well, and firewalled, spyware protected etc... so i dont think thats the cause.
Im not overclocked at all, and this windows install is prety new - no betas etc...
At windows XP PRO you go Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
Look at application and mainly at system

ok well i think theres a repeating error in system that 'could' be it - but i cant be sure - the last time it came up was around the time i reckon it crashed - during last night - early hours of this morning

the program/service thats doing it appears to be called " MrxSmb" any idea what that is ? event number 3019?

Probably something with your Domain controller or DNS - MrxSMB is the M$ Server Message Block handler and Event ID 3019 "The redirector failed to determine the connection type." - so look into what may be going on in those areas maybe?

Abbadon2001 said:
ok well i think theres a repeating error in system that 'could' be it - but i cant be sure - the last time it came up was around the time i reckon it crashed - during last night - early hours of this morning

the program/service thats doing it appears to be called " MrxSmb" any idea what that is ? event number 3019?
The answer can be found here: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3019&eventno=149&source=MRxSmb&phase=1

Description: The redirector failed to determine the connection type
Also at the link you can read and others that had the same problem and came up with a solution :)

I have a feeling after reading that info that it cant be thats crashing my pc :(
I think thats to do with me getting files from a housemates pc - but just happened to be near the time of a crash. There must be something else amiss i feel :( i will look at files again and see...

Anyting else it could be ?

I cannot think of any other source that you can understand what is may going wrong in your pc.Try to think from when you have these problems.If you had installed anything that day (hardware/software).Try to run any sfc (fro a DOS window you can do that), if you have Norton Utilities to run Disc Doctor or any other diagnostic program that may give you a clue.Clear you event log and let the pc to run a day.After that go and see the event viewer to see what is saying.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back