Strange behaviour...

S

Skwowwy

A friend of mine has the following problem:

After every hour (approx.) she uses the PC, the CD drive suddenly spins up and then ejects. Shortly after that Windows XP crashes.

I've never heard of this weird problem, so I really have no idea... Otherwise I'd have solved it already. I think the following could be the causes:

- Dodgy PSU
- A virus
- CD drive dying

Any idea what could be causing this?

She also has a problem with partitions, but I can handle that myself. Shouldn't be too hard, and I don't think this has something to do with the CD drive spinning and XP crashing shortly after that, either.

Strange one. You could try unplugging the cd rom & see if it is stable. Maybe try another rom & see if it happens again.

I've reinstalled XP and all that for her. The partitions structure looked really weird, so I redesigned the HD with new partitions. Everything should be fine now.

As for the CD drive problem, I told her, after the reinstallation of XP, that she can use it normally and if the problem occurs again, that she'd let me know. In that case, I'll try your suggestion. She has to drives, one DVD-ROM and one CD-RW. Both of them act(ed) weird.

Thanks, though. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back