Storing a Computer

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
I have been busy lately building a couple of systems, and I now find that it is getting somewhat cluttered in my den. I am thinking of storing one of the computers in the loft, just as a standby, should the need for it arrive. Are there likely to be any problems with storing a computer?

not really just make sure that all the parts are good like the HDD you dont wnat it to stick when you turn it on later and make sure that it is a dry place, not damp at all. and if you want to be really carful if you are storing it for a long time take the battery out incase it starts to leak over time

Many thanks. I'm not too sure that my loft will be damp free. Perhaps I'll just remove the HDD and install it in one of my other systems. I note what you say about the battery, and will remove it. I'll starting to think I should have just stayed with one system and not bothered with the others.

why not network them and use them for storing music, movies, etc.?

or you could set up an ftp server with one of your boxes.

the possibilities are endless...but i certainly wouldn't let it collect dust!

if there is more than one computer to store i would go with koko's idea or if you want to do something different you can load linux sackware and take many computers and networkthem togther and make them run as one computer but i only know of the idea i have never done that before

or you could set up an ftp server with one of your boxes

Sounds interesting, but not quite sure what you mean.

or you could give it away to a forum member:)

<-------------hint hint;)

You don't even know the spec, it could be a 286 or something.

But then I suppose i shouldn't have mentioned a tidy profit if it were a 286.

@ the least i can have fun overclocking it till it fries:D :cool:

Thanks for all the suggestions Guys. It's an Athlon 1200, with Sony CD-RW Drive and 30g HDD. I am using a K7S5A motherboard, and have had no troubles with it at all. Trying to sell computers secondhand is useless, now that new computer prices are dropping everyday.

Perhaps I'll just have to make some room and leave it where it is as a spare.

ftp server = you install a proggie like serve-u-ftp 4.0 and allow users on the internet (friends, family, whoever) to access files on that particular machine.

they can download and upload files to and from your computer!

you can limit which directories they can see, as well as tons of other options.

i run an ftp server off my cable modem and it wasn't too dificult to set up (i'm also behind a router).

but, you can even run one off a dial-up modem too.

canadian_divx said:
if there is more than one computer to store i would go with koko's idea or if you want to do something different you can load linux sackware and take many computers and networkthem togther and make them run as one computer but i only know of the idea i have never done that before

i think that setup is called a barewolf

I usually store them on their side (so the CPU Fan is in line with the ground) as this prevents some damage wrt the heatsink falling off or anything like that. I think most computers provided they arent running can sustain a little damp, just make sure you air them out a bit before using them next time and it should be alright.

I hope he has sorted this 2 year old problem out by now :)

Geffy said:
also this is actually called a Beowulf Cluster ;)
I was going to correct him but then had a sudden feeling that I spent to much time on /. and decided to just let him slide. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back