Stories about intercepting an E-Mail virus/worm without knowing till the last minute

Corvette

Sauske!
Lets do one of those War story style threads. I'd like some stories about intercepting viruses/worms without knowing until the last minute and your AV scanner did not notice.

So lets start it right with one from me!
I got an e-mail about a year end trip with an attachment that Outlook 2000 SP3 blocked (It was Quotes.doc. SCR ) I was curious so I put in the Norton AV Quarantine and updated the Definitions (Because it would not let me submit to SARC without new definitions) And then I submitted it and a day later I got an e-mail with the results and it said that it contained a known worm.
So thats it for me! I hope there will be more stories like this

hmm
I never look at em whem they're blocked.. DELETE DELETE WOOP WOOP RED ALERT!

I havent really been hit, I have had a few which were either trapped or looked so dubious that I just got rid of them.

I have worked with viruses a few times now, from personal experience I have been spammed with viruses but they have never effected me. But before I had much knowledge in computing I had just purchased a pc for myself and put a crossover cable between mine and my mums computer. I recieved a virus and being the overclocker / benchmarker that I was I never had antivirus for maximum performance. My mum on the other hand did but hers was never updated.

I recieved a virus which trashed my system leaving it in an ir-repairable state and so forth went the virus down the cat5e cable into my mums computer. we thought her computer was ok, but i updated the antivirus and then boom the antivirus software dissapeared :eek: :confused: So i managed to get the antivirus working somehow and when it scanned it said like 50,000,00 files infected :p I was like o oh :eek:

So had to wipe both machines and managed to save her documents in dos :p

Skazzy

so the lesson is always have norton antivirus installed - yes i meant to say norton cos they are the best!! I have 5 computers on my network all nav 2003 pro, latest updates :)

Skazzy

Well I've got so many e-mails with viruses on wedsenday that like every time I checked I got at least 2 prompts with the Repair Wizard

I got NAV 2003 Pro updated to hrm let me see 1/08/2003

Ack ya beat me how come!! I'm up to date :p

Skazzy

Well not by now! It's August 17th, Your defs' are 16 days out of date by now (And I haven't seen any new stories for a long time)

I have received a few viruses through Kazaa lite but My very-well-kept-updated Norton SystemWorks 2003 picked all of them up, sometimes deleting them as they come into my computer. I have seen a virus in effect.

Here's the story:

One day a long time ago when I had Windows 98, I brought a floppy disk full of my school work home and opened some docs to work on then boom, the computer rebooted and would not start up. I looked through the C: drive and found out that the computer was infected!

The virus wiped my hard drive! ALL OF THE FILES Including my own stuff was gone for good! :'( I managed to reinstall Windows 98 and all of my programs. All this time, I was inexperienced in computers so I learnt more about computers and found out that you must have a good Antivirus Program and a Firewall installed to protect the computer. I am now an experienced Windows XP Home and Pro User knowing what to do to deal with computer problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back