Stopping the default share of C drive

Digdis

OSNN Addict
Political Access
Hi,
My work PC has the default C$ share for C drive. I have too many reasons not to allow that. When I want to cancel this share, it tells me that the server service always creates this share when restarted. Is there any way to prevent this?
D.

Just make sure the built in administrator account has a password, or the account you are using does not have domain priviledges to view administrative shares.

IPC$ and ADMIN$ need access to it; especially on a domain type network. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it. Windows will add it right back.

Thanks. Let me rephrase: as I don't always count on our infamous IT people, I'm afraid of the potential abuse caused by the automatic sharing of C$. I remember that on Win2K I could simply stop this share (I have WinXP now). How can I protect myself from such kind of abuse?
D.

If you have files that you need to protect then the best means of protection is putting them on a USB drive and just plugging it in when you are at your desk and unplugging it when you are away.

But, as I said above, network resources (especially in a domain environment) need access to these shares (i.e. SMS/WSUS needs access to the Software Distribution folder in the the WINDOWS directory and it gains access via the C$ share).

Well, the only way you could do it is by usergroup permissions.

What tasks do your IT people need to perform?

What don't you understand? You can't remove a default share. The system and network need it to be there.

If you need to protect files from others then change the permissions or move them to a USB drive.

This KB article is the reghack to disable the creation of the administrative shares. It is for NT4 but it also applies to Windows XP Pro.

Digdis said:
Thanks. Let me rephrase: as I don't always count on our infamous IT people, I'm afraid of the potential abuse caused by the automatic sharing of C$. I remember that on Win2K I could simply stop this share (I have WinXP now). How can I protect myself from such kind of abuse?
D.

Instead of choosing C$ as your share, choose simply "C" that will at least make the share non-administrative, and force login to share.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back