• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Stopping the default share of C drive

Digdis

OSNN Addict
Political User
Hi,
My work PC has the default C$ share for C drive. I have too many reasons not to allow that. When I want to cancel this share, it tells me that the server service always creates this share when restarted. Is there any way to prevent this?
D.

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Just make sure the built in administrator account has a password, or the account you are using does not have domain priviledges to view administrative shares.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
IPC$ and ADMIN$ need access to it; especially on a domain type network. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it. Windows will add it right back.

Digdis

OSNN Addict
Political User
Thanks. Let me rephrase: as I don't always count on our infamous IT people, I'm afraid of the potential abuse caused by the automatic sharing of C$. I remember that on Win2K I could simply stop this share (I have WinXP now). How can I protect myself from such kind of abuse?
D.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
If you have files that you need to protect then the best means of protection is putting them on a USB drive and just plugging it in when you are at your desk and unplugging it when you are away.

But, as I said above, network resources (especially in a domain environment) need access to these shares (i.e. SMS/WSUS needs access to the Software Distribution folder in the the WINDOWS directory and it gains access via the C$ share).

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
What don't you understand? You can't remove a default share. The system and network need it to be there.

If you need to protect files from others then change the permissions or move them to a USB drive.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
This KB article is the reghack to disable the creation of the administrative shares. It is for NT4 but it also applies to Windows XP Pro.

Digdis said:
Thanks. Let me rephrase: as I don't always count on our infamous IT people, I'm afraid of the potential abuse caused by the automatic sharing of C$. I remember that on Win2K I could simply stop this share (I have WinXP now). How can I protect myself from such kind of abuse?
D.
Instead of choosing C$ as your share, choose simply "C" that will at least make the share non-administrative, and force login to share.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix