Stoopid question bout HTML

Bootsy

Huh?
Ok, I followed the Active Desktop Tutorial to the T. I got everytrhing to work well and good BUT. Now I want to know how to change the font/color/and underline of the links I've made to the desktop (ie: solitaire). When doing the link, iot comes out blue and underlined. I would want it black and NOT underlined. BTW, thanks Matt for the tutorial and for the help you've given everyone. I'm kinda jumpin onboard this whole HTML boat a bit late but whatever. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

You'll need to use CSS for that. probably the easiest way would be to put this in your head tags...
Code:
<style type="text/css">
a{text-decoration:none;}
a:link {
  color:black;
  background: transparent

}
a:visited {
}
a:active {
  color:blue;
}
a:hover {
}
</style>

cool thanks a lot speedy, now how can I change the size of the fonts? and howbout the font type? thanks

put the following just after your <body> tags.
Code:
<font face="Arial" Size="2">
obviously change the name and size for your needs :)

bootsy, you don't even need to go that in depth...just use a style tag with your href statement like this...

<a href="..." style="color:'#000000'">Solitaire</a>

save a lot of time and code.

syn
bootsy, you don't even need to go that in depth...just use a style tag with your href statement like this...

<a href="..." style="color:'#000000'">Solitaire</a>

save a lot of time and code.
using that method requires EVERY href statement to be altered, using the css in the <head> will change all the links at once.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!
its coming along...next step will be slide menus...woot!
thanx a lot bro

Originally posted by Bootsy
wow cool...now we're getting somewhere =]

howbout underlining?

you can also add the underlining to the CSS like this:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
a{text-decoration:none;}
a:link {

}
a:visited {
  [b]text-decoration: underline[/b]
}
a:active {
}
a:hover {
}
</style>

you can add it to only hover for example, so that only when you hover over a link it will become underlined , you can add it pretty much any way you want.

Benny is right, it's a flexible part of HTML.
If you want to learn more about HTML and CSS then take a visit to the W3Schools site (http://www.w3schools.com/) and use the links in the top left, they're free tutorials which will give you a better idea about coding HTML.

Or you could just use html
Code:
<body bgcolor=black text=white link=black vlink=black>

None of that fancy CSS underlining stuff, but shorter none the less.

It's the best way to learn HTML.
Otherwise you end up using crap like frontpage and end up with pages and pages of completely un-compliant code.

jumpy
Code:

That only changes the colour, Bootsy wants the links to not be underlined as well as black.

Hence me saying

Wasn't a completely correct answer to the question but pointing out different methods helps us all to learn :)

Originally posted by jumpy
Code:

Well , CSS exists for a good reason , if you do a page with one link and one word, you can manage without it.
but what if you are doing a web site with hundreds of links, in that case CSS can save you big time and effort.

Ok, nevermind guys, just forget I said it. I realise that css is there for a good reason but was just showing alternatives.

Stop pickin on me.....:( I'm not a html pro like you guys...

I'm not pickin on anyone, i'm a peace loving creature, xsept when i'm not.
either way is fine really, its just nice to know all the alternatives.

cool, thanks guys I'll take a look at some tutorials at that site, I'd like to learn how to make menus also =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back