Stolen Laptop....

R

ReC0iL

My Uncle's laptop was stolen about a month ago... They caught the guy but he sold it before they found him or something.... Is there anything that you could use to track down that laptop if he signed on the internet? My uncle has all of the #'s that came with the computer and he was wondering if there was a way to track whoever has it using the #'s. Anyone here heard of something like that?

I guess nobody has heard of anything like that..... lol

the only thing i would think of is tracking the IP address.. but its abit difficult considering the IP address changes all the time :p

.. erm... i heard a story about this guy managing to find his laptop because of MSN Messenger.. he used to have MSN messenger auto come up on the start up with his name already logged on and he saw it.. and got talking.. so on and so on..

But anyways, i dont think or i havent came across anything that could find something like that.. unless the police could trace it :huh:

sorry ReCOiL :confused:

If it is loaded with xp you could give microsoft a call & see if they can deactivate it. He won't get it back but it will be an annoyance to whoever stole it. Provided they log on that is.

Oh no sorry.. that would be helping them more than your uncle.. they wouldnt wanna give away a free copy of XP... thats a good idea Hipster.. yea.. give Microsoft a call.. they'll do it within 5seconds of the call :happy:

the only way to track a stolen laptop is where there is a device plaed in the laptop where it will be activated everytime ti is on the net. that way they can see where it is all the time, but that is only done on some expencive laptops and business ones
my dad has that on his but other than that i dont know.

so basicly.. from now on, we can plant a tracker or something into a hidden folder or something so that you are able to trace it if it were to go on a running spree. Although, having said that, that would make it alot easier for a hacker to get onto your computer.. hmm, scrap that idea :p

you could put a lowjack on it (its something like taht, that they use to find cars) but it might not work out so great

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back