Steam Better?

N

Not Bman

Is it better to buy games on Steam or retail from store?

I always liked having the boxes and paperwork and all that.

I am afraid that say one day they crash or something, all info lost, then they don't know if I really owned that game or such. I dunno, what is your thoughts?

mm.. i always thought that digitally distributed software would be cheaper (really cheaper, not 10$ :p).... but most of the time its not...

so i say go to the store, heheh

idk how steam works... but, most of the time u get a cdkey, which u can write down or store in one of thos digital locker thingys

I like the idea of it as well, and they have a lot of the new games too.

I guess I'm just one of those people who like to have the boxes and really know that hey this is mine.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Valve have stated in the past that they would ship boxed copies of everything you by on steam in the event they close down steam

I'm dealing with steam now about a game I purchase at Frys, and couldn't get log on twice, re-reg'd, load the game and the nexting I knew I could sign in again, in some dum thought I reg. again, well that screwed up everything. I have yet to play this game, Lost Planet, and steam is trying to fix the problem, I really don't like the idea of this company, hopefully not many other games go this way.

Valve have stated in the past that they would ship boxed copies of everything you by on steam in the event they close down steam

Ok, that's good. Thanks.

I guess I will get the games how ever I can, when I get them.

Steam works great for me, although I do liked boxed copies of games. You can just login into steam from any computer that has a net connection, download the games you own (if they are not already) and play them. Its a great way to show friends a game, or let them borrow it :D. Also, you never have to worry about losing your disc, breaking or damaging the disc or having to find your CD key.

I guess I probably will start using Steam to buy my games, but right now I still do not have a credit card, so can't.

Personally, I dis-like it. I refused to use steam and Valve products for quite a while then caved in when the organge box came out. Even worse, I was sucker enough to do the EA downloader thing for a few games which is even worse than steam.
I want to be able to install the game from CD/DVD, insert key and not have any potential problems if I don't have internet or their's auth problems with the host.

Please, don't even compare Steam to the EA downloader. They are not even close to the same level of quality. Steam is ten times what the EA downloader pretends to be. Steam is reliable, smart, compact and easy to use while retaining a lot of very useful features. The EA downloader.... well it sucks. :p

I love steam.

1) Not having to find a disc to play.
2) Automatic updates.
3) No CD-Keys
4) Faster load times.

And if those aren't enough.....

5) /makes a fist/ Kapow!!!!!!!

That should be.

You think if Steam (valve) closed down, they'd actually send all those boxed games to everyone? Think about it, there are how many people on steam, with how many games on it...thats a lot of boxes and games to send.

But either way, I do like it.

I think it's more likely that they'd set up a way of allowing users to backup their games onto standalone discs so they didn't need to use Steam anymore. But yeah, I like Steam, but the bottom line is that I always go for what's cheapest - strangely this happens to be mainly the boxed retail copies.

You actually can do that, within Steam there is a way to transfer the latest version of any game you have to a archive that you can then burn for backup purposes. I'm sure if steam where to disappear then they could most likely release a tool that would allow you to use the backed up game content without steam.

I love steam. Log in, download the games, and I am set. No more trying to remember where the disc went, no more having to worry about the physical media being destroyed accidently because it fell on the floor and a chair rolled over it.

I wish more games were released over Steam, since it makes it sooo much easier for me to keep track of them.

Quite happy with Steam although I don't like the way it stores third party games with no cache but I haven't really bought many third party games anyway.

My steam problem are still ongoing, got a email today about stating the last user ID I got is invaild, I just signed up and logged on it play on and now doesn't, I think they suck myself.

I have about 30 or so games I have purchased through Steam.

:cool:

30 GAMES? wow

i don't even think I have 30 games in total...

what are they all? if you feel like sharing...

Is it better to buy games on Steam or retail from store?

I always liked having the boxes and paperwork and all that.

I am afraid that say one day they crash or something, all info lost, then they don't know if I really owned that game or such. I dunno, what is your thoughts?

Good paranoia, go with it. I had a gaming buddy who did the download on some expansion packs and he was not happy. Besides you can't resell a download at half price books if you get tired of the game. And there may be restrictions on installing a download on multiple PCs so others can play when you are not without having to tie up your computer.

Then there is always the issue of havingto beg them to let you install on a new machine if your old PC dies with aHD or MB failure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back