Static IP question

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Hey all,

I've got a router managing my network, it has DHCP enabled and works fine for everyone but me. I seem to randomly change IP's when my lease is up but all the other stations stay the same or inherit my old one. Not a big deal but whenever that happens I have to change all my port forwarding to my new ip and its getting old quickly. What I want to do is set my IP to be static and keep the other stations on DHCP. First off is that possible? Secondly, assuming the first one is possible, do I just specify my static ip in the windows TCP/IP properties or do I have to do something on the router as well? Hope this makes sense and someone can help me out.

Thanks

Leave the dchp alone from the router standpoint, but put in a manual IP address/subnet/gateway/dns servers in your TCP/IP properties.

I did that on my setup, works just fine.

Heeter

Last edited:
Yeah, as he said it will do just fine.

Hard-code your current IP as your address, make the DNS and Gateway addresses the IP of your router.

Not sure if your router allows this, but on my Netgear DG834GT, I have restricted access with a fixed IP for each PC. eg. my laptop will always be 192.168.0.3 no matter whether i renew/release the IP from the laptop side.

Just remember to keep it out of the DHCP range or you're going to run into problems. You should also be able to setup a static IP using the dhcp server according to your MAC address somewhere in the router settings.

I agree with Weael. Set the DHCP starting IPs to something like 192.168.1.100, then you can assign static IPs from 192.168.1-192.168.99, assuming the statndard 192.168.1.0 network with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

As stated above.. you can:

1) Assign a static IP address and change your DHCP server so that the static IP you assigned falls out of the scope of management (ie: make sure your DHCP does not assign the static IP address to another machine).

2) Setup a DHCP reservation so your computer always is assigned that IP Address. This configuration varies but it always will require your MAC address of the network card.

MAC address method is probably the best way to go, wether it be via a DHCP reservation on your DHCP server or something similar on your router - pending your setup.

I prefer methods that don't have to be re-done in the event of a system crash where a re-image/re-install is necessary. One less thing to have to worry about and/or verify. That is, of course, unless you change the NIC.

...unless you change the NIC.

which (these days) is likely onboard the mobo :rolleyes: ... One reason in this case if it were myself I would likely (strangely!) elect to add a suitable PCI NIC to the mix. Then you are good to go for mobo upgrades... until you go PCIexpress... but then I don't doubt you can (tell me if I am wrong :nervous: ) get a PCIexpress NIC now!! :eek: :rolleyes:

I agree that most are onboard, but sometimes motherboards get replaced. It's not a likely scenario but it still happens.

Haven't seen any PCIx Network Cards as of yet, who knows if we ever will.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back