static ip on dynamic router

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
if I assign a static ip to a computer or network device on my network that is set up to have dynamic ips would that work?

Reason being is I have 3 devices that don't leave the home but my laptop is carried with me where ever I go. and assigning a static ip to my laptop I feel would cause me great headaches...

Running a linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt micro installed.

so long as the IP you assign is in the same subnet being dynamically assigned, you should be fine.

Make sure you exclude the static IP from being handed out by your DHCP server.

well at home my network is 192.x.x.x
and at work it's 10.x.x.x

that would make a difference right?

yes.. that would make a big difference..

Your work is all static IP? Ugh..

An alternative you can consider is if you are using XP (not 100% if it carries over into Vista) is set your laptop to use DHCP. When you set it to use DHCP, an "Alternate Configuration" tap should show up allowing you to specify a static IP to use if the computer can't pick up a DHCP address.

Why not just change your internal IP's at home to 10.x.x.x?

I have a Linksys wrt54gs router and it only uses ip addresses in the 192.168.1.xxx range...

That is, if you use DHCP. I don't use DHCP but static ip addresses and in fact I can use 10.xx and 192.xx ip addresses....

But what I was suggesting is that the DHCP server options are configurable within the router, at least they are for most.

yes.. that would make a big difference..

Your work is all static IP? Ugh..

An alternative you can consider is if you are using XP (not 100% if it carries over into Vista) is set your laptop to use DHCP. When you set it to use DHCP, an "Alternate Configuration" tap should show up allowing you to specify a static IP to use if the computer can't pick up a DHCP address.

work and home are dynamic, only difference is the ip segments.

Why not just change your internal IP's at home to 10.x.x.x?

I am so dumb...I never even thought of that...

So I'm guessing create static ips at home and (here's where I lose my train of thought) create static ip on my lappy and hope it stays when I'm at work?

I figured (and am probably wrong) I could create static ips on the 3 devices that are at home and keep the router dynamic so the devices always pull the same ip, and keep the lappy dynamic so where ever I go it will pull it's own ip.

I have a Linksys wrt54gs router and it only uses ip addresses in the 192.168.1.xxx range...

That is, if you use DHCP. I don't use DHCP but static ip addresses and in fact I can use 10.xx and 192.xx ip addresses....

does your wrt54gs have dd-wrt installed?

does your wrt54gs have dd-wrt installed?

Yes I have dd-wrt also installed. I can only change the last 3 digits in the ip address when I use DHCP. The numbers 192.168.1 are fixed and cannot be changed.

I turned of DHCP and I can use any static ip address I want (192. or 10.). But even with DCHP turned on this is possible. Just configure the router to hand out ip addresses ranging from f.i. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.5 (192.168.1.1 is the lan ip address of the router) and configure your pc to use (let's say) 192.168.1.10. This way you can use static ip on a DHCP router.

what happens if you change the address of the NIC on your router? It should then change the range of addresses the DHCP server hands out.

what happens if you change the address of the NIC on your router? It should then change the range of addresses the DHCP server hands out.

NIC? You've lost me there... (not very into abbreviations)

NIC = Network Interface Card.. basically, the IP address on the internal side of the Linksys (or internal IP on the LInksys)

As you can see I can change the NIC, not the 192.168.1 part...

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 130
on the contrary.. see where it says "Lokaal IP Adres"? That is the address I'm talking about.

Changing that will change the address on the LInksys (and your whole network - so, if you have a system with a static IP in the 192.x.x.x range, it will no longer work after you change the IP on the linksys until you change it to the 10.x.x.x range.

Yes indeed, I can change the lan ip address of the router, but not where it says in the picture "begin ip adres". This is the begin address of ip addresses to be handed out if you use DHCP on the LAN network. The numbers 192.168.1 cannot be changed, only the last three digits (so I can only use 254 pc's in my network...). So even when I change the NIC to 10.0.0.1 I have an ip range from 192.168.1.xx in my home network.

Or am I missing something?

If I change the NIC in 10.0.0.1 the begin address does not also change to 10.0.0.xx.

did you restart the router after you made the change?
edit: did you also set your DHCP option to "active"

No I haven't. My router works fine as it is. And the problem in this thread is not mine....

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back