Startup Problem

dboy3587

OSNN One Post Wonder
i made a shortcut on my friends computer. the shortcut was to logoff.exe i put it in the startup folder and every time it boots up it logs back off
i tried safemode with cmd and it still doesnt work.
how do i fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
why not use a bootdisc to boot to DOS and then navigate to folder and delete the file? this is a bit of a dodger though, I am prepared to bet there is a startup boot.ini or other option that will allow you to boot and NOT run through the startup items, it's just that I do not know what it is - so from those two ideas I am sure google can be your friend too!

BTW this was a pretty dumb thng to do - but I guess you know that? :p

F8 on startup into Safe Mode, go into the c drive, go into Documents and Settings, into the users folder, Start Menu, Programs, Startup and delete the shortcut.

Then bang your head against the wall and ask WHY DID YOU DO THIS! ;)

Read the whole first post as it logs off even in safe mode.

Should be able to delete the file through recovery console or use what Mainframeguy suggested.

AZ, he/she just said they tried Safemode with the cmd prompt with no expaination of what they did, I was just suggesting they try something as I'm not a mind reader. When I give a suggestion, I make sure I READ THE WHOLE POST.

dboy3587 said:
i made a shortcut on my friends computer. the shortcut was to logoff.exe i put it in the startup folder and every time it boots up it logs back off
i tried safemode with cmd and it still doesnt work.
how do i fix this?

Does this look suspiciously like a plug for that website?

Last edited by a moderator:
ray_gillespie said:
Does this look suspiciously like a plug for that website?
it does now! Thread deletion? I am not sure if I need to report post now - so maybe I will anyway!

Lets just hope it isn't some new angle at spamming, post edited just to be safe so we can just assume this is another new guy needing help :)

Put the hard drive as a secondary in another computer, then delete the file

Use Safe mode and log in as an alternative Administrator, if you only have one administrator on your computer, and it is that one account, that is pretty dumb.

Thats why XP Home is a plus sometimes. the main "admin" account is in safe mode anyway.

It depends if the shortcut is in the User Startup older or the All Users startup folder. If its the All Users then no matter who logs in it will log em out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back