Startup Problem for Win XP

• Thread starter Illegal_Ops
  • Start date
I

Illegal_Ops

Anyone knows how come when i restart or start my system, the folder "C:\windows\system32" will opened by itself everytime? I have checked the startup program and found no problem with it. Anyone know the reasons?

Does your system shutdown properly? If you have a folder open when you shutdown or logoff, Windows will usually reopen it when you log back on. If your system isn't shutting down properly it may be resorting back to the last "saved" shutdown thus causing this folder to open.

I always shutdown my system properly, i will close all my applications first before shutting down. But however when i start my system, it will automatically open C:\windows\system32 folder.
And i have to close it myself manually.

get X-Setup from http://www.xteq.com install it and look through system/startup/winxp/ and see if there is anything in there that might be opening the folder

I have looked through the msconfig-startup and found one startup item with nothing in it,only state the location. When i disable that, the C:\windows\system32 folder no longer opened. But is it okay to disable that, and how do i permanently get rid of that entry? See Attached.

Run regedit and go here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
You should be able to delete that blank entry from there. If it's not there, then msconfig might have disabled it and placed it in a -Run key or somethin like that instead.

Hi, I have looked through the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
but however i could not find the blank entry only the default entry, the rest are still there. (see attached)

But if you looked closely at my msconfig-startup.
The location for the empty entry is Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

Looks very fishy to me

Here use this file its start up control panel just install the application go to the control panel and run the startup icon you will be able to delete it saftly with this.

ps .. re-enable in msconfig to be sure you will see it in start up control panel, it keeps a backup of deleted entries

If you have disabled the item in msconfig it should now be listed in the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

You can delete the subkey there so that it will no longer show up in msconfig. Obviously there went something wrong, as "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" isn't a valid registry address. Did you notice that any program that should start is missing.

Thanks all of you for your help. But however, as suggest by yoyo, i could not find the disabled item in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

But the entry was found in :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\
MSConfig\startupreg\hpppt (see attached)

So far i did not notice any program that should startup is missing.

Why is it so? Thanks

oic, thanks a lot, yoyo.

This hppt is created because i have a HP Scanjet 5100C scanner which cannot be detected with Win XP OS. So i follow thru one website to install the drivers and also the HP Precision scanning software. I think it must be this which causes this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back