startup delay

J

jbob

I am using xp pro and recently during startup i have begun to have a 40 second delay. Just when the xp title screen appears disk activity stops and nothing happens for 40 seconds. Occasionally it will not stop and continue loading straight away.

I used bootvis and the boot activity graph puts the time down to 'disk'. During this time there is no cpu useage, no disk I/O and no disk utilisation. using the optimise system function didn't help.

Any ideas?

xp pro
Duron 650@900
msi gforce2 mx
barracuda 20 gig

do you only have one ide device (hard drive or cdrom/rw/dvd on the primary or secondary channels? If so, go to devie manager (right click my computer-> properties->hardware->device manager) and click the plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers. Then double click the primary or master channel and (depending on which channel only has one ide device). Click the advanced settings tab. Now under device type change the one that is not there from auto detection to none. repeat if necessary for the other ide channel.

yeah, i only got one device on both channels.
I made the changes as you said for both channels but there was no change.

Go to 'Run' type in 'MSCONFIG' goto services tab and uncheck 'Workstation', reboot and tell the warning screen that comes up not to bug you anymore. That should fix it.

or try using bootvis to optimize your boot up...do a trace before and after to see how much time was shaved off...i was booting in 128 sec now got it to 32 sec..pretty damn good I think

turning off workstation did not fix the problem. and i got continual crash reports.
i've already tried bootvis but it didn't fix it.

slow start up

if you have anti virus soft ware like norton 2002 running this happens al the time
and as far as im aware there not much you can do about it

Have the same problem, but this was the solution to it. Disabled the option and now a reboot takes no longer than a second or 20 in stead of 60:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back