Startup BSOD

K

Kramer2K

Ok, so I've been having some troubles w/ my setup...which somehow has led to a BSOD coming up every single time that I try to startup, even in safe mode! Last night everything ran fine, it shut down fine, but then tonight it won't start up! I just had a fresh install of XPro about a week or so ago. I've attached a photo of the BSOD, which flashes for about a second before rebooting...so it took me a while to get the pic...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

K

Pull all expansion cards except video, disable fancy stuff in BIOS (Sound, etc.), disconnect all usb devices except for mouse and keyboard.

If BSOD continues, with power off, do a cmos reset (jumper on MB).

If BSOD still continues the MB may have a problem. If it goes away start adding stuff back in one item at a time.

Ok, I pulled everything...no change

ANd I should probably add that I have a dell 4300, and I know that dell doesn't provide (at least none that I know of) much info regarding mobos, so is it possible to do a cmos reset?

By the way, what is a cmos reset? Is it just flashing the bios?

And if it is the mobo, what do people recommend? I have a P4 1.5 that is using PC133 SDRAM....

K

a cmos reset involves removing the cmos battery, and moving a jumper over a notch and then back, then replacing the battery. Alternatively, if you can get to your bios screen, restore default settings.

Did you install memory or any other hardware?

Where would the jumper be on the board? And although I can get into the bios settings, there is no option to restore default settings.

And I haven't installed any new hardware since the fresh install of XP Pro.

One thing that I should mention is that the bios loads up ok, the startup screen loads for a few seconds, and THEN it goes to the BSOD. So it as almost as if somethign in windows is causing the problem. But then again, what do i know!

Actually it's moving the jumper and replacing it OR pulling the battery.

If you can't find the jumper just pull the battery for 30 seconds. Then replace it.

CMOS RAM stores setup info that the MB stores for your specific system. Pulling the battery erases the specific info and the bios defaults to a "safe" bare bones setup.

But now that you mentioned Dell. Is the 98 you are trying to install Dell Brand 98 or a generic? Dell likes to customize their stuff so it only works with Dell hardware to keep profits up.

Pull out the Memory from it's slots, clean the connectors on the RAM sticks with an eraser and reinstall. Make sure they are seated firmly. Next disconnect the Power Supply connector(s) from the MotherBoard and then reconnect them, make sure they are seated firmly. Make sure the computer is unplugged. :D

Then reboot and see what happens.

Also, if this IS a Dell Demensions 4300 then your computer should be equipped with four diagnostic lights on the back of it, labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D".

Check this link out and follow the instructions and see if you have any problems that way.

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4300/codes.htm

also... if again this is a Demensions system to restore setup defaults do this:

To reset the original factory system setup settings for the Dell Dimension Series 4300, perform the following steps:

• 1. Restart your computer.

2. At the first text on the screen, or when the Dell logo appears, press the <F2> key every three seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.

3. When the System Setup screen appears, press the <Alt> + <F> keys at the same time to load the factory defaults.
    A beep sounds to indicate the defaults have been loaded.

4. Check and, if necessary, reset the time, date, and year.

5. Change the Secondary Drive 0 setting to Auto.

6. Change USB Legacy Support to Enabled.

7. Press the <Alt> + <B> keys at the same time to save changes and reboot.

8. Proceed with the installation or troubleshooting that you were attempting.

Well, I tried setting the BIOS settings back to factory, but still the same problem...
And the lights on the back don't really help, since on mine, they are either yellow or orange, but on the dell's website, they are green and yellow!
But from what I gather, I think it's a PCI bus problem. The good news is that when i first bought this rig 2 years ago, I thought, 'heck, why not get the 3 year warranty' So i still have a year left!

So i'll call them up after the holiday to see what they can do. My only concern is that I have changed OS (they think i run XPHome) and added RAM and changed optical drives....any idea if they will throw a tantrum or just send me a new mobo?
K

tell em the upgrade was done at a puter shop and they should be ok ;)

anyway as for the stop error, go into folder options, under the view tab. and tick the box to 'launch folder windows in a seperate process'.

"MORE INFORMATION
Stop error 0x0000000A (Stop 0x0A) shows that there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). This error usually occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error are an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, and incompatible software. "

anyway, being as though u updated to XP, i would head over to the dell support site and get any xp drivers they have on offer, dell are fookers for using hardware thats like 2% diffrent than the normal OEM/Retail version, so if XP has installed default drivers for say a turtle beach santa cruz soundcard. (aint gunna happen with that card, just as refrence) and in reality its a dell version of the card, the makers drivers would cause BSOD, but the dell official release should fix the problem.

thats the problem with dell, bulk buying parts with there own name stamped onto them, Dell are great out the box, but complete bastords when an upgrade is needed.

Gonzo, the only problem is that i can't load windows, even in safe mode! I've tried repairing the installation too, but that didn't work either.

And Hipster, I don't think it's the RAM since I took my 512 out and then tried using some that I originally gave my bro to use (128) but that didn't change a thing...

Nope, new Maxtor 80GB HD that I checked using Powermax...

P.S. Anyone wanna buy me a new comp for christmas?

O.K. Last resort... Kinda... Do a system "restore" to a couple of days before the error occured and see what happens. And don't tell me you have restore disabled or I'll shot you. :p

Uh-oh!!

Gonaads has finally resorted to shooting forum goers. After 10000 posts, one would begin to wonder when he would finally flip out and begin to physically harm fellow forum attendees.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
Uh-oh!!

Gonaads has finally resorted to shooting forum goers. After 10000 posts, one would begin to wonder when he would finally flip out and begin to physically harm fellow forum attendees.

Heeter

It's a potato gun. I just wanna mash'em up a little. :p

that error message is cause of you having an IRQ conflict, try reflashing your BIOS that helped me fix it on mine.

Tried Reflashing w/ no improvement...Any other ideas or should I just call and see what dell will do?

K

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back