Starting XP takes 2 minutes...

L

Loi le Beau

hi,
when i turn on my pc, it takes 2 minutes to see the xp desktop..
my OS in second partition and this partition is 20gb.. i used bootvis.. i looked up to the start up... nothing's changed..

See if this does anything>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

i did it hipster... nothings changed.. still same..

If you don't need it try turning off the 'workstation'. Administartive Tools/Computer management/Services & applications/services. Get to it throught the control panel or start menu.

i have the same problem, except not 2 minutes but it does hang for a good 10-15 seconds showing just my desktop wallpaper, but no icons or start menu.

what is this service that u said to disable? does it serve any other purpose? also, do u have a link to that patch so i can try it myself? thanks

just curious.... are these problems on very old installations of XP, or recent installations?

HMM< i had same problems with NEW INSTALLATIONS, but i gathered it was an WINXP activation bug, because it no longer happens when i format and reinstall!

have a look at this guide written awhile back and see if that doesn't speed things up

http://www.xp-erience.org/articles.php?action=show&id=16

cool.gif

this happens on my old machine, which has had xp for about 8 months, with the sp1 patch, as well as my brand new machine, with SP1 slipstreamed into the Cd before i installed it.

i have the issue on both machines.

Originally posted by Iceman
have a look at this guide written awhile back and see if that doesn't speed things up

http://www.xp-erience.org/articles.php?action=show&id=16

cool.gif

yeah i used bootvis and it ate my MBR and corrupted my boot.ini file. had to go into recovery console just to be able to boot.

i think it was a fluke, because i re-ran it and it was fine. my machine does boot faster, however it loads my desktop wallpaper, and site for about 10 seconds before i see anything. this is a brand new 2.4 P4, not some old machine

Try pressing start. It works for me. Also, make sure that none of the buttons are pushed down.

pressing start? I'm not sure what u mean, i dont have a start button on my keyboard, and as i said before, i cant see the start menu on my screen during this time.

ERm.... how bout when u load into the desktop?? does it slow down a lot?? if so....

do u recently install any new software?? or updated any new driver?? bcoz i had one pc that takes 2 ~ 3 minutes to boot up due to incompatible software and driver. it really takes time to detect the prob tou......

I meant by pressing the space bar. If it slows down, and I press it, within 3 seconds I'm going to my desktop.

nothing's chaged dudes.. can it be related to its ram? i have 1024 rd in 15gb hdd? is 15gb too small partition for 1024RD ram?

That shouldn't be a problem. Go to start/run/msconfig & see what is starting up at startup. Post a jpg if it is confusing.

Why have you got your OS in the second partition? That could be the problem.

I might have a solution. The same thing (slow startup, while the computer seemed to do nothing) happened to me. What I found, that is was my networkcard. I have a cablemodem attached to it. You have to give your 'Local Area Connection' a static IP-address, like 168.100.0.1. To do this, you must rightclick 'Local Area Connection' in the network folder in Control Panel and choose properties. Click on TCP/IP and click in properties again. From here apply a static IP-address like stated above. After you filled it in, press Tab on your keyboard to let WIndows fill in the Subnetmask. Click OK and OK again and restart your computer.

Warning! The above solution mustn't be applied when your are on a network. Use this only when using Cable or DSL-internet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back