starting xp in verbose mode

S

SMlTH

I don't know if the 'subject' explains want I want correctly. In linux when you start up you can see all the processes that are starting.. its basically text rolling up the screen with some sort of indication of "ok" to the right. Can this sort of thing be done in xp??

Click start > run, then enter notepad c:\boot.ini and hit return

You then need to add /sos to the end of your o/s string, for example here's mine
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos
It's a fast scroll though, can't be read as easily as a linux boot up.

Thx for the quick responce... it works but you are correct in saying it is nothing like the linux start up. I still have the screen that says "loading your personal settings" anyway to get rid of that also??

No way that I know of, sorry.
Thats always been the way in which NT logs on as far as I know.

In case you haven't already you can disable the Welcome screen and use Windows 2000 style login.
(Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way you users login)

To get some (only some) more messages at startup and shutdown you can also create or change this registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ System]
verbosestatus DWord 1 (enabled) 0 (disabled)

Full of info as always yoyo ;)
Doesn't turning the Win2k style logon still have the "loading your settings" screen, just un-themed ?

Yes still "loading your settings". Just thought he might like this one better.

yes I read that tweak in another thread ... it does give a few more things.. I haven't seen anything how to get rid of the "loading your settings" screen or then "saving your settings" screen on shutdown :\

Improve Shutdown. Lets not save your active session's settings on exit
If you Don't care which windows app was located where when you are shutting down the system, this tip may in fact help improve the shutdown time a bit (a bit not too much)..Simply inform windows not to save the settings at exit time. To do this , open registry by going to START-RUN and entering regedit. Navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] . In this look for value of "NoSaveSettings". If available, do one of the following:
If you want to enable no save on exit, set its value to 1 else to save on exit. set it back to 0.

courtesy of xptuneup.com

I guess if you are wanting your Windows PC to look like Linux, then you better just run Linux. I can not understand any real reason why you would need to view the processes during startup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back