• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Start menu too big

I dont know what caused this problem but whenever I go into my start menu the third column of applications are half off the screen. I had 3 columns before and they fit just fine. My moniter is at the correct resolution and I used the auto calibration button to center everything out but still no results.

Any ideas???

Thanks

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Are you using a third party visual style? Have you tried changing back to Windows Classic then back to the visual style you are using now?

I havent changed anything that has to do with desktop settings since I got my computer. Heres a screen of what's up (attached). But maybe you just cant fit 3 columns and I just didnt realize that it added said column

Last edited:

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
First off, why would you want that many columns and that big. Have you installed any new drivers, programs etc.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Some thing in the third column is that lengthy. The columns are going to be the same width.

You should organize all of that and then you will only have one column.

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
or...... could toy around with the start menu folders..... like say.... if you do video/photo editing and stuff like that.... you could make your own folder for Video Editing apps, and have all the apps for video editing in there. then make a folder for photo editing and do the same. and maybe for games and such. either that or fight to get it back to normal size so you can see the third column, or set it so that the start menu scrolls, like i think Win98 used to do by default i think.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
I have my start panel set in ordily fashion. The accesories, games, installes, and startup are all seperated ..

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
There are many ways you can organize it. Depends on what you use, how you use things. Either way, it looks much better clean. I think most people would agree.

Sin - do you feel like your mom just told you to clean up your room?
lol...

One of your folder or program names is too long or got corrupted causing the column width to be too big. You can right click each one and delete from the last letter to the end of the line directly on the start menu or (easier way) go to each of the Start Menu folders and check them using Explorer.

The explorer start menu paths will be:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
C:\Documents and Settings\your account name

The bad folder/file could be in any one of those Start menu folders. If it is a multi user machine the trouble maker could have been installed by someone else. P2P download file names are notorious for being obscenely long and causing problems. When you are done that.

CLEAN up that mess! Subfolders were created for a reason.

Attachments

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage