• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Start menu text

B

bmorrissey51

Ok, I want to simply change my start menu text to read Metallica...how would I go about doing this?

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You have to download REsource Hacker and hack the explorer.exe file

The Start text is under the String Table, 37

B

bmorrissey51

How do I find this resource hacker? And when I do, is it pretty easy to operate it?

yoyo

There is also a long thread (sticky) up there ^^.

Actually it is a matter of a few minutes to make the change.

Open Explorer.exe in ResourceHacker, edit stringtables 37 (for xp-look) and 38 (for classic look), hit compile script, save as Explorer1.exe to the Windows directory.
Change the registry value for Shell to Explorer1.exe at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon
reboot.

That's all.

D

Dirk Diggler

Or alternately:-
Open Explorer.exe in ResourceHacker, edit stringtables 37 (for xp-look) and 38 (for classic look), save the altered Explorer.exe as Explorer1.exe. End the Explorer.exe process in Task Manager, click the "Applications" tab, click "New Task", search for Explorer.exe and rename it to Explorer2.exe, rename Explorer1.exe to Explorer.exe and run this new Explorer.exe as a New Task.

Marginally quicker than a re-boot I think, but then my re-boots take a lifetime :D

Edit: Sorry this only works if you have removed/renamed the backup copy of Explorer.exe :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oggeytom