Start Menu Icons

N

Not Bman

So I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate and I am having issues with my start menu.

Now I have seen this happen before, usually one or two icons, but they always fixed themselves.

Basically, at least 7 icons in the All Programs in the start menu, as well as the main Start Menu view are gone, it has that no icon icon lol

I looked at each of them, and they all also have missing icons in the program files directory, and if I right click to change the icon, the icon is still there. They all run properly as well.

Any ideas?

Delete IconCache.db in your C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local folder then reboot

That folder is hidden so you will have to adjust folder options to see it.

I did what you said, still the same after getting back into windows.

I got that also, I think it is a bug in windows seven ..

Done that also, twice. Still the same.

That was the first thing I thought of.

Doing the suggestions would work, but see. It's the program file as well. Very weird.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 262
re-install of the applications? There are 4 of them (thought there was more)

What are the chances of a bad corrupted install of 4 different applications? lol Plus, that all run fine.

*just reinstalled one of them to see, still the same, WTF!

I still think it is a bug in Windows Seven ..

If it was, wouldn't everyone come across it.

But yea I really wish I had money for a new system, its been awhile now with many weird issues, over many new installs and formats. Something or things are clearly dieing in my system lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Also make sure you untick "icon cache" in ccleaner if you have the option - that causes the problem for me.

As to the new pc thing, I agree. I've got 2 sticks of dead ocz memory on my desk, 1 each from a different pair, hard disks that are slowly failing from old age, a mainboard that keeps randomly freezing. Something is causing memory related bsods (probably the rest of the memory failing.. Going to cost about £2000 to do a proper replace/upgrade job or £600 on the cheap.

Add to that £250 for a new bulb for my rear-projection TV and being unemployed....

Yea the icon cache thing isn't checked, and if it was just cache they would have been repaired by now buy are still the same.

Basically I just need a new system with all the other problems I am having, and don't have the money for it :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back