Start Menu delay

J

jomz

How do I MANUALLY set the 'delay-time' for the Start Menu? I used a program before (FreshUI), and I just didn't like it, so when I uninstalled it, the 'menu-delay' was set to '0'.

Is there any way of doing this without using any other 3rd Party software?

Plus. How do I reset an "association" of a certain file-type to it's default value? Say something which my system won't be able to open? Hmmm...like when you forget to "un-check" the "always use this program" check box? How do I revert this to the "default" value?

1. Start Regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
3. Select MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.
4. Right Click on it and select Modify.
5. Change the value to a higher number for more delay and lower for less delay.
6. Reboot your computer.
7. Done.

if u put a negative number, will the start menu pop up when you plan to click it???

:D

A negative number will give a 60 second delay

Originally posted by jomz
Plus. How do I reset an "association" of a certain file-type to it's default value? Say something which my system won't be able to open? Hmmm...like when you forget to "un-check" the "always use this program" check box? How do I revert this to the "default" value?
Not sure about the default value but you should be able to get rid of the one you don't want with this>

Get rid of "Open With" Items in Right-Click

When right clicking any file you're likely to see an option called "open with", which lists any available program on you computer to open the file with. To simply clear up this list of unwanted items, or to remove useless associations, like opening an mp3 file with a paint program, follow these steps:

- Start Regedit
- Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Find the extension you wish to edit and click on the "+"-sign to locate the key that says "OpenWithList"

In the right pane of the registry editor you'll see a list with the programs in the list, like "paint.exe" or "notepad.exe"
Simply click on the one you wish to delete and press the delete button on your keyboard

Don't worry if you've removed an entry you rather hadn't removed. When right clicking a file there will be another option in the "open with" extension where you can choose any program on your computer. Once used, it will reappear in the list of associated programs.

Re: Re: Start Menu delay

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Not sure about the default value but you should be able to get rid of the one you don't want with this>

Get rid of "Open With" Items in Right-Click

When right clicking any file you're likely to see an option called "open with", which lists any available program on you computer to open the file with. To simply clear up this list of unwanted items, or to remove useless associations, like opening an mp3 file with a paint program, follow these steps:

- Start Regedit
- Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Find the extension you wish to edit and click on the "+"-sign to locate the key that says "OpenWithList"

In the right pane of the registry editor you'll see a list with the programs in the list, like "paint.exe" or "notepad.exe"
Simply click on the one you wish to delete and press the delete button on your keyboard

Don't worry if you've removed an entry you rather hadn't removed. When right clicking a file there will be another option in the "open with" extension where you can choose any program on your computer. Once used, it will reappear in the list of associated programs.

Thanks a bunch! Hmmm...well another one...you know how the start-menu becomes "collapsible" when some of the programs are not being used, or there are so many programs installed already?

My start menu seems to not have this "feature" anymore? Or this isn't supposed to happen?

:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back