Start button Tweak... almost there! Help please

R

ruchti

Okay... I followed the guidelines as listed in the Start button tutorial for this site and everything went smooth until I tried to save it. I ctrl-alt-del as usual, end explorer.exe, tab back to Resource Hacker and save the file. It prompts me to overwrite, I click okay, and launch explorer again, but to no avail... the old start button is still there. I open explorer in Resource Hacker and the old bmp's are there again...

Now, after several tries I got curious and did the same thing to explorer.exe in my DLLCACHE folder. I saved it, closed ResourceHacker and reopened it again... this time it did save my changes correctly. However, when I close explorer and relaunch this version the old start button is still there and my changes are overridden back to the old ones in Resource Hacker.

Which leads me to believe something is wrong in the filelist.xml file which I edited...

Any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks!
ruchti

did u uncheck the read only part in the filelist.xml?
and then delete explorer.exe from the dllcache
and make the changes to the filelist.xml
but wen u add that line
add in the other parts too
i belevie its
<REC> adlfkjasdflasjf <\REC>
something like that

did u uncheck the read only part in the filelist.xml?
and then delete explorer.exe from the dllcache
and make the changes to the filelist.xml
but wen u add that line
add in the other parts too
i belevie its
<REC> adlfkjasdflasjf <\REC>
something like that

Yes, I unchecked the read only part in the filelist.xml because otherwise it wouldn't let me save it.

Explorer.exe was deleted from the dllcache folder

made the changes to the filelist.xml like this - <REC>%sytemroot%\explorer.exe</REC>

Now, since explorer.exe is in C:\windows\ would it matter if I did: <REC>%sytemroot%\windows\explorer.exe</REC> ?

Just curious.

Thanks for your advice.
ruchti

Alright, now I'm really puzzled...

I attempted to change the text and bmp on the start button and this time saved it by naming it explorer.xp, rebooting in safe mode and at the command prompt copying explorer.xp over explorer.exe and then rebooting...

well, the text worked (woohoo!) but the old bmp remains... but, when i open explorer.exe in resouce hacker the NEW bmp is there. any idea what might cause this? the bmp i am trying to replace it with is the same size, saved in photoshop as a 16 bit .bmp

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ruchti

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back