Star Wars Republic Commando

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I was very skeptical about playing this game and I wasn't sure what to expect. Well the game is amazing. I haven't gotten too far yet but so far it has very nice graphics and doesn't seem redundant at all. What it really feels like to me is a very very upgraded Halo or Halo 2. These games have a very similar feel yet I wasn't too fond of Halo or Halo 2 but I love this game so far.

I recommend anyone to play this game and I don't really like to recommend games. This game is out for PC, and the consoles so if you have the chance rent or buy it or borrow it from a friend.

Well I am very sceptical, but have a feeling it will be a quiet weekend, so might pop out and get this earlier.

Good to hear you were in the same boat as me and are really enjoying it, makes me thing a little more of it!

I heard mixed reviews on HalfLife, and when HL2 came out I was skeptical as well... I jumped in both feet first, and I am banging my head on my desk knowing I missed out on such a good game for the orig HL... anyway.. good to know other hardcore gamers will take a chance and put tidbits of info for the rest of us to go on out here...

Long Live Hannibal!

I'd have to agree, so far the game is great. Has quite an original feel to it with the whole squad based thing, and I've gotten to the point where I actually miss their banter and such on those solo missions.

Speaking of the squad based idea, it's really quite ingenious how they did that. I've found that in previous squad based games I usually let the squad run around, mainly because it takes to bloody long to cycle through the squad command menus, remember the right keys for everything etc. This one key squad command idea solves that problem, and while I find it's not as flexible as a traditional squad based game it works pretty well.

THe only problems I've found with the squad is that they tend to rush ahead without me, so if all their health is fairly low I try to send one of them to the bacta unit, then the others rush into the next area/group of enemies, so the first one heals, then I have to recall the next one to heal(provided he hasn't been killed) and the one that was just healed goes rushing into the fray, by the time the other 2 commandos are healed the first guy is almost dead again. Also they tend to walk infront of you while your firing.

Other then that I've found the squad AI to be quite impressive, they will help each other and they cover your back insanely well. I've had them warn me to watch my six and I no sooner turn around and there's a sniper shot zipping over my shoulder into the baddies head.

Overall, I don't really like FPS games, mainly because other then improvments in graphics there hasn't really been a huge FPS innovation in a long time (IMO and that I can think of). But I definatly like this one, I would have recommend that everybody at least give it a try, not sure how much replay value there will be, but the games definatly worth a look see IMHO.

jpom said:
mainly because other then improvments in graphics there hasn't really been a huge FPS innovation in a long time (IMO and that I can think of).

I CANT agree with this portion, I only have 2 exceptions to your general rule however: Half-Life either of them... and Dues EX: Invisible War.

If you try any of these games, you will be hooked, it is the Idea of having to work through a puzzle, or to figure out who did what to whom, and how you can fix it I think that is the difference than the point, shoot, kill of most other FPS's

On you Guys rec I will have to go get the game, not too sooon, but when I do, I will post my thoughts on it as well..

Happy SHooting!!

Very arcadey, good fun so far.
But ~I keep dying so have quit for now :)

I just can't stop playing this game.

I think the fact that it is based off star wars helps even though I'm not a hardcore star wars fan. There are just too many WWII based games and they tend to blend together after a while.

plus how could you not like running around with wookies!

mlakrid said:
I CANT agree with this portion, I only have 2 exceptions to your general rule however: Half-Life either of them... and Dues EX: Invisible War.

If you try any of these games, you will be hooked, it is the Idea of having to work through a puzzle, or to figure out who did what to whom, and how you can fix it I think that is the difference than the point, shoot, kill of most other FPS's

Well I agree with you on DE:IW, but I've always considered it more a first person RPG then a First Person Shooter, so I wasn't really including it. As for half-life 2, hey it was an impressive game, graphics were great, but I didn't really find it much different then any other FPS game. Work your way through the level and shoot the bad guys, no real objectives etc. Maybe I just didn't play it long enough, as I got bored with it within a relativly short time and haven't really had the desire to go back to it.

I've been playing this non-stop since late last night. It's around 8 in the morning now. I stopped at the beginning of Kashyk and I love the game. Not once did I feel like there was nothing left to do. There were new twists and turns all the time whereas a lot of recent FPS' had lots of areas that seemed like fillers for the bigger fight. I love the easy and intuitive squad controls. Your squad is actually useful unlike most games with CPU controlled teammates. I'm looking forward to finishing this rather quick. Ahhhhh ... I love spring break. Gives me time to catch up on so many games.

Tuffgong4 said:
I was very skeptical about playing this game and I wasn't sure what to expect. Well the game is amazing. I haven't gotten too far yet but so far it has very nice graphics and doesn't seem redundant at all. What it really feels like to me is a very very upgraded Halo or Halo 2. These games have a very similar feel yet I wasn't too fond of Halo or Halo 2 but I love this game so far.

I recommend anyone to play this game and I don't really like to recommend games. This game is out for PC, and the consoles so if you have the chance rent or buy it or borrow it from a friend.

I will give the game a try. Good information. I also agree on the Halo/Halo 2 issues. Never too impressed. I did think it had a Halo look to it. Thanks.

well I just finished the game...it was one of the best experiences I've had gaming in a long time. Everything was there and worth the time and effort to finish it. I wish there was more for me to play!!!

I guess it did feel Halo because of the huge arms and the fact you could only carry one extra weapon (doh!) - no shortage of ammo tho and the pistol was quite accurate anyway.

The game did feel a little short, I was expecting another level, but if it helps add backstory to Episode 3 then thats all lovely, as I am sure there are wookies in Ep3.

Pretty cool how the original Jango Fett character did "38", but as in the ep2, shouldn't they ALL have his accent, while the 3 squad mates had american accents?

I hope there is mission pack, but then they tend to be shorter than the games themselves! Ah well, nice to play a good star wars game again, even if I did finish it the day after buying it ;)

I just finished the game as well on the Xbox. It was rather short. I finished it in two sittings ... two long sittings.

Even though they were clones, I think the development of the voices changes the way each individual sound. It'd be pretty dull without their personalities and their wiseass remarks every now and then wouldn't be as pleasing.

vern said:
Even though they were clones, I think the development of the voices changes the way each individual sound. It'd be pretty dull without their personalities and their wiseass remarks every now and then wouldn't be as pleasing.

Agreed, it would be quite boring with out the sqaud giving their 2 cents every so often. As for the voices, This is from the official site:

"Even among clones, there is a heirarchy. Three-Eight is undisputed leader of the Deltas. Relatively taciturn, when he speaks, it's usually to bark out an order to his squad. Three-Eight has earned the respect and loyalty of his squad, and he repays that dedication in strong leadership. Despite being trained by Walon Vau, Three-Eight somehow inherited Jango's strong Concord Dawn accent and speech patterns."

It makes sense because an accent isn't genetic, people can lose and change an accent over time, but somehow 38 kept Jango's.

jpom said:
THe only problems I've found with the squad is that they tend to rush ahead without me, so if all their health is fairly low I try to send one of them to the bacta unit, then the others rush into the next area/group of enemies, so the first one heals, then I have to recall the next one to heal(provided he hasn't been killed) and the one that was just healed goes rushing into the fray, by the time the other 2 commandos are healed the first guy is almost dead again. Also they tend to walk infront of you while your firing.

They teach you how to control you squad in the game, as long as you don't turn off advice while you play.

F1 gives them offensive stance, they will run ahead of you and fight the enemy
F2 Tells them to form up, and follow your lead
F3 Tells them to defend a certain area
F4 Tells them to stop what they are doing (if you assign them a task) and to go to your location.

Yeah but who actually listens to that stuff, it's kinda on par to reading the manual *shudder*.

Really though thanks I appreciate the help, must have missed those tips, or clicked through them by mistake, i paid attention to most of the tips, don't know why I missed those ones, but oh well.

Either way I finished the game last night, all I can say is I hate that bloody ending, not because I actually hate it but because now I want more. I hope they come out with an expansion pack of some sort soon.

jpom said:
Yeah but who actually listens to that stuff, it's kinda on par to reading the manual *shudder*.

Really though thanks I appreciate the help, must have missed those tips, or clicked through them by mistake, i paid attention to most of the tips, don't know why I missed those ones, but oh well.

Either way I finished the game last night, all I can say is I hate that bloody ending, not because I actually hate it but because now I want more. I hope they come out with an expansion pack of some sort soon.

Heh, I listen to that stuff :p

Luna said:
Heh, I listen to that stuff :p

HAHA, fair nuff I suppose. But still given the choice, kill baddies or listen to tutorial, I'd have to go with option A. Although I suppose that had I listened and actually paid attention to the tutorial it could have saved myself and my squad members a lot of grief. Oh well.

So far I have to concur, it's a real hoot, I like this more than the usual FPS, one key command for the squad is really good.

jpom said:
Well I agree with you on DE:IW, but I've always considered it more a first person RPG then a First Person Shooter, so I wasn't really including it. As for half-life 2, hey it was an impressive game, graphics were great, but I didn't really find it much different then any other FPS game. Work your way through the level and shoot the bad guys, no real objectives etc. Maybe I just didn't play it long enough, as I got bored with it within a relativly short time and haven't really had the desire to go back to it.

Ok I can see your point, but I guess I like HL2 because it isnt just shoot, kill repeat, it has alot of: "how the hell do I get over there??".... situations Very cool, graphics are off the chart. You guys are REALLY making me mad...

how am I supposed to finish one game when Im thinking about buying another??

HEHEHE
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back