standby & network

Taurus

hardware monkey
i use standby a lot. is there a way to have my computer repair it's network connection and acquire a new ip address each time i wake it up? instead of using it's old one?

There should be a command to release the lease on your ip address and get a new one. You can add this to your scheduled tasks. I just would not know the exact command. I think it is "net". Try "net /?" from a commandbox (without the quotes ofcourse)

If using DHCP the IP address will most likely not change even if you release/renew. The reason is most ISP's assign IP by the MAC address of your network card or router.

If there is a router involved it should have an option to set how long it leases an IP address for. Note this may disrupt 2p2 or big file downloads.

If straight connection to the modem then you can use
ipconfig /release /all
followed by
ipconfig /renew
use scheduled tasks as hans suggested to automate the process.

There is no guarantee any approach will produce a new ip address. That depends on the algorithms used by your ISP to assign ip's. I used to find that I had to be disconnected for hours before I actually got a new ip adress.

If there is a router involved it should have an option to set how long it leases an IP address for.

That is the LAN IP's the router assigns to whatever is connected to it not the WAN he would get from his ISP.

yeah, we're all connected to a router.

issue is i will put my comp in standby and my roommate will later turn on the PS3 and start playing online. then i come home and wake the comp up and then there's an ip address conflict and he gets kicked offline.

i ended up just asigning the PS3 it's own ip address.

Alternatively most routers give you the ability to program DHCP reservations. This would be based on the MAC address of each device. If you were to give a PC a static IP assigned through Windows, if you format it's gone. If you format and the NIC is the same, still there :)

Also, please don't bump your own thread.

Alternatively most routers give you the ability to program DHCP reservations. This would be based on the MAC address of each device. If you were to give a PC a static IP assigned through Windows, if you format it's gone. If you format and the NIC is the same, still there :)

Also, please don't bump your own thread.
thanks, i didn't notice the static DHCP setion in my router. and thanks for the other ideas, guys.

and sorry for bumping. was i suppose to make a new thread with the same question?

and sorry for bumping. was i suppose to make a new thread with the same question?

It's not a huge deal really, but no to the seperate thread. Just waiting for someone to reply works, although sometimes it's a long wait :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back