standby issues

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Well.... I have this weird memory of asking this when Vista was really new to me (years ago now?!).

And of it being answered as a common early problem.

But the thing is I still have it!.. I have selected power saver option and yet whilst the screens shut down OK it never goes to standby. Is there a rogue process doing something odd? (I am not folding at the time) Or is Vista a bit odd this way? Link me to my old threads by all means mods! Yeah - I tried search...

Re: vista power saver standby

As far as I know... there's only Sleep or Shut Down... I'm assuming that you might be referring to Sleep mode. I haven't had any problems with my machine powering down.
Have you checked your BIOS settings?

Well.... I have this weird memory of asking this when Vista was really new to me (years ago now?!).

And of it being answered as a common early problem.

But the thing is I still have it!.. I have selected power saver option and yet whilst the screens shut down OK it never goes to standby. Is there a rogue process doing something odd? (I am not folding at the time) Or is Vista a bit odd this way? Link me to my old threads by all means mods! Yeah - I tried search...
how many minutes before sleep is supposed to happen?

how do you know it's not sleeping of the screen is off?

Yes I mean sleep - I think THAT was the problem - I can hear the fan power continueing for the processor - so far as I know it should be silent in sleep mode?

how many minutes before sleep is supposed to happen?

how do you know it's not sleeping of the screen is off?

sleep is supposed to happen after ten minutes - the screen after three.... and I hear the fan - is that not a good enough sign?

Make sure your bios is set to "Suspend to ram". It powers down everything in your computer except the RAM.

not sure if relevant - but this is a laptop BTW

Sounds like some problem with bios settings or something keeping the laptop from powering down. Have you tried closing the lid to put it to sleep? It should power down within 60 secs of the lid being closed.
Alternatively, have you considered hibernation? Not sure if there is an option still in vista for hibernation.

I hear the fan - is that not a good enough sign?

no Mainframeguy, it's not

sleep is different then hibernate, in sleep, (in xp there are three stages of sleep, I suspect the same in vista), the box is still running, power is maintained to maintain memory, the fan still cycles when needed since there are still calls and the processor still operates

see if resume from sleep is logged somewhere, I suppose there is a log of sleep if it occurred, I don't know where it is though

[edit]

try perfmon, (enter that into run), there you can find event logs

Last edited:

Perris: i don't remember either OS.... be it vista or XP, having multiple stages of sleep. Even on my old laptop running XP.... if i put it into sleep mode.... it basically acts as if it's off. no fans... no hard drive activity... nothing. Vista on my desktop is the same.

S1: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down.
S2: The CPU is powered off.
S3: Commonly referred to as Standby or Sleep. RAM is still powered.
S4: Hibernation

Source

S1: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down.
S2: The CPU is powered off.
S3: Commonly referred to as Standby or Sleep. RAM is still powered.
S4: Hibernation

Source

nicely done..notice my bold

if there is a temperature situation the fan will pwoer up in standby

True.... the ACPI standards do list those modes of sleep.... but if you were to open a command prompt, and type "powercfg /a" it will show you what power states are available. With my current system.... the only sleep states supported are Standby (S3), Hibernate, and Hybrid Sleep. It also tells me that S1 isn't supported by this system (i'm assuming by Windows Vista), and S2 isn't supported by the system firmware (which i'm assuming would be the BIOS.... or maybe i have the two reversed)

It'd be kinda weird if your Vista system is using S1 or even S2.... since S3 is enabled in Vista by default. Unless your motherboard or something doesn't support the S3 sleep state.

True.... the ACPI standards do list those modes of sleep.... but if you were to open a command prompt, and type "powercfg /a" it will show you what power states are available. With my current system.... the only sleep states supported are Standby (S3), Hibernate, and Hybrid Sleep. It also tells me that S1 isn't supported by this system (i'm assuming by Windows Vista), and S2 isn't supported by the system firmware (which i'm assuming would be the BIOS.... or maybe i have the two reversed)

It'd be kinda weird if your Vista system is using S1 or even S2.... since S3 is enabled in Vista by default. Unless your motherboard or something doesn't support the S3 sleep state.
I believe it's the hardware and firmware for that hardware that determines which sleep states are available

I would think vista is always capable of all states of sleep but recognizes when the hardware or the firmware for that hardware cannot support the various levels of sleep, the os probably recognizes what is and is not supported.

for instance, the os recognizes this laptop does not have a printer, if I tried to print it would just tell me there is no printer, vista is capable the hardware is not

vista also has something that looks like sleep or standby and is neither, I believe it has "away mode" and the system appears off but has backround tasks running like scheduled recording and things like that, I believe that has to be asigned in firmware also

I also found this pretty good page on the microsoft knowledge base which doesn't seem like any sleep mode I would have imagined;

When Windows is asleep, it can still download and install updates and perform other routine maintenance tasks. For this reason, some companies require employees to put their computers to sleep rather than shut them down when going home for the evening.

Last edited:

Check your BIOS settings to find out what the default sleep setting is - I think you'll need to set it to S3 rather than S1, and then your computer will go to sleep correctly. Try it and let me know how you get on.

Check your BIOS settings to find out what the default sleep setting is - I think you'll need to set it to S3 rather than S1, and then your computer will go to sleep correctly. Try it and let me know how you get on.

finally got around to finding the BIOS key... the only S reference at BIOS level is for waking on S5, which I set just to try it out, but of course - makes no difference. So, my BIOS will not permit it? Or vista? :suprised: This compute has insomnia worse than mine! :laugh:

mainframeguy, open a command prompt, and type in the "powercfg /a" command i mentioned.... and tell us what it says.

It says I can have S3 alone (Hibernate Hybrid Sleep) Firmware apparently does not support S1 nor S2

Or the manufacturer has locked down the bios so you can not see or alter the ACPI options.

It says I can have S3 alone (Hibernate Hybrid Sleep) Firmware apparently does not support S1 nor S2
I believe hybrid sleep is the best sleep mainframe, it does both, it stores ram to disc AND it keeps memory powered so it's still in ram

there is hybrid sleep as a firewall in case there is a power failure

hybrid sleep is cool

anyway, if you want sleep without hybrid sleep, try turning it off, that might do the trick, from mskb

When hybrid sleep is turned on, clicking Sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. When hybrid sleep is turned off, or if your computer doesn't support hybrid sleep, clicking Sleep puts the computer to sleep.
To turn hybrid sleep on or off:

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings under the selected plan.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow hybrid sleep, and then do one of the following:

• If you are using a mobile PC, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click On.

• If you are using a desktop computer, click Setting, click the arrow, and then click On.

5. Click OK, and then click Save changes.

no matter what, I still believe if the computer gets to a certain temperature the fan is gonna turn on in all stages but off and hybernate

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back