standby annoyance

M

mlum

Hi, I have an annoying problem with putting my computer in standby mode on windows xp. Sometimes after trying to put it to standby, it starts back up and I'll have to try a few more times. Or, when it's in standby mode, it's very sensitive to the mouse, and I can't sit at my desk without waking up the machine. Does anyone know how to solve any of these problems?
thanks

Its actually meant to be a feature in XP, try using Hibernate :)

Quote:
One advantage of the new Windows XP operating system is the rapid resume from Standby mode. With XP, a computer comes out of Standby almost as quickly as a PDA. That's a great advantage for business travelers.

Windows XP promises faster resume times from both Standby and Hibernate modes. For business travelers carrying notebooks, though, Standby is the better choice. Standby mode saves open documents and applications in RAM, while Hibernate stores them to the hard drive. As a result, newer computers running Windows XP can resume from Standby mode in 2 or 3 seconds, while the same computer could take 20 to 30 seconds to come out of Hibernation, according to Microsoft. Standby mode draws more battery power than Hibernate.

I agree with you . Standby is way to sensative. I wish you could limit resume to only keyboard actions and ignore the mouse. Anyone know if this is possible??

Strongly suggest you forget about Standby & Hibernate. Just set your monitor & HD to power down after a period of time. Much better for your system.

Alan..I've had no problem with hibernate, what's wrong with using it?

Lot's of people do have problems with standby & hibernate in xp. If you're not, that's fine. But the "safer" method is to just rest the hd & monitor (those are the only components you're concerned with anyway).

do you use a usb mouse by any chance?? if so i think you should be able to go into device manager and check the properties for your mouse. There might be a tab called power mangement. If there is, click it and remove the check next to "allow this device to bring the machine out of standby" or something like that. when i was on 98SE, my machine would resume when the mouse was even slightly moved, but since xp i have to press a key on the keyboard to get to to wake up which is great

AmarSingh, I found that setting. Way to go.. I have an optical USB, so this should do the trick. Thanks again..

-Pete

Just an update. The fix AmarSingh posted works like a charm. No more bumping the desk and the computer turns on...

-Pete

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back