Smokin & Jokin
Hi,

Im currently messing around with my motherboard,
testing it out and stuff:)
The only trouble is, I don't know what the hell I'm doing !!:rolleyes:

Before I start, i put the multiplyer to 15x (from 14x) and the
CPU External Frequency to 140/something :huh:
I got 2100mhz:D WOW! lol
Is it right to put the multiplyer down and then whack the external frequency up?
Cos I've done the opposite:rolleyes:

Does anyone know a maximum stable setting for my setup in BIOS?

There is no "for sure" stable setting for your system that everyone knows. You've just got to slowly keep pushing it higher and higher, if that's what you want to do. Normally, people push up the FSB, but in turn it also increases the RAM speed, along with some of your PCI and AGP cards if your BIOS doesn't have an option to lock them. If you push that too high, your system won't boot.

OK,

But should the multplyer go up or down.....I think I got told I should put
it on 11.5.....
Does that sound right?

You might find this of some use CLICK ME on the third reply is a link to an overclocking guide ...READ IT....seriously.

Thanks for that Tony:cool:
Right, now I've got it running at 15x multiplyer and 142 External
Frquency. Now I'm running at 2.13mhz:p
One last thing though, shouldn't I be able to overclock loads more
than that? If i go 1mhz over my system crashes.

Whats holding it back?:(

What are your Cpu temps like?...you need good cooling.

But i would think its your memory....you will get more headroom on overclocking using either DDR333 or DDR400 aka Pc2700 and Pc 3200....yours is on DDR266 aka Pc2100.

Don't worry I got adjustable heat-sink:)
34'C on minimal setting, but I whacked it up a bit just incase;)

/Me looks for cheap RAM

Did you lower the ram timings?

I run my athlon1800+ at 11.5x150=1.725ghz but need to lower ram from turbo to fast

I can run it as high as an Athlon2100+ anytime I have reached the Athlon2200+ with this same CPU

try and lower the ram timings in the bios

but like Tony said your ram is gonna top out

its all about trying you can lower the multipler and then go higher with the fsb ... its all trial an error just keep messing with it

watch your temps

:)

Some DDR400 going ...well what i think is cheap ...going HERE at £59.88...but always Try Crucial Memory First at the top of the page.

can get 512mb DDR400 for 40 quid:p

O yea, in my BIOS, if I try to go over 149 then it gives me a DDR333 warning.
Basically telling me I got have that RAM to go further.

100 mhz extra = temp gone up by 6 - 7'C

Had to put frequency down to 142....system kept crashing in windows:(

Originally posted by Lockstock
can get 512mb DDR400 for 40 quid:p

O yea, in my BIOS, if I try to go over 149 then it gives me a DDR333 warning.
Basically telling me I got have that RAM to go further.

100 mhz extra = temp gone up by 6 - 7'C

Had to put frequency down to 142....system kept crashing in windows:(

What you can do is in the bios lower the timings on the ram
and also to gain some stablilty add a little to the vcore volts ex:default on mine is 1.50 volts I can add .025 at a time I add .050 to get 1.55 and with the added vcore and the lower timings can reach 150fsb no trouble

I have an Athlon 1800+ default is 11.5X133=1.53ghz
I have it right this minute at 11.5x150=1.725

have gone as high as 1.83ghz but dont like to keep it up that high

just up the multiplier, then. that's always been my favorite way to do it, anyway. increasing your fsb requires memory that's ready for it and pushes your pci and agp frequencies out of spec.

but i read a review of the 2400+ where they pushed it to a 165mhz fsb, making it 2.5ghz. they also tried lowering the multiplier and increasing the fsb to almost 200 but could still only manage about 2.5ghz.

so, you could either...
1 - increase the multiplier.
2 - increase the fsb and change the pci/agp and memory divider.
3 - increase the fsb and get new memory.

and doing any of these likely requires tweaking with your voltages. gotta be careful there.

What RAM timing settings do I need to change?
Can anybody suggest some good rates?

In your bios you should have something that would say normal, fast, fastest, turbo .... you need to lower ram timings I need to run on normal when I am overclocked alot like right now I am pushing and pushing slowly up the ladder here is what i am @ now

Internal Clock : 1876.46 MHz <<<<< default is 1530.00
System Bus : 300.23 MHz DDR
System Clock : 150.12 MHz
Multiplier : 12.5

L1 I-Cache : 64K Byte
L1 D-Cache : 64K Byte
L1 T-Cache : ----
L1 Cache : ----
L2 Cache : 256K Byte
L2 Speed : 1876.46 MHz (Full)

Originally posted by Kermit
In your bios you should have something that would say normal, fast, fastest, turbo ....
a lot of bioses now have more in-depth memory timing controls that let you select the "RAS Precharge Time", "RAS-to-CAS Delay", "Leadoff Control" and other individual timings. not to mention the origianl basic "CAS Latency". of course, with all these, you want the lowest you can get away with. :)

Originally posted by taurus
a lot of bioses now have more in-depth memory timing controls that let you select the "RAS Precharge Time", "RAS-to-CAS Delay", "Leadoff Control" and other individual timings. not to mention the origianl basic "CAS Latency". of course, with all these, you want the lowest you can get away with. :)

Trying to make it easy for him lol and of course all those settings are adjusted when you choose one of the predefined settings I mentioned but ( not putting him down ) seems to be a little green in this overclock area ... and if his board is that complex he will have a ball ...mine I can do anything I want everything is adjustable in the bios either using a few predefined settings or just switching whatever option to manual and setting it by hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back