SSH server windows

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
Could someone point me in the right direction to set up a SSH server on vista business machine behind a router. I've tried OPENssh and the cygwin install would not work...I've also looked into Freesshd but I have no clue on how to set it up.

I had it working on my DD-WRT router but I had to give that up because it didn't play nice with my ATT uverse internet.

why do you want a windows ssh server? You can't do a lot with it. You're better off with Remote desktop.

because whereever I am at (traveling, at airports, etc) I owuld like to send my web traffic over that with putty and firefox then having my traffic broadcast all over. I travel a lot and want to tunnel that traffic.

get yourself a cheap vps then. or install virtual box on your pc install some kind of unix and portfoward from your router and bounce it back out from the virtual machine.

get yourself a cheap vps then. or install virtual box on your pc install some kind of unix and portfoward from your router and bounce it back out from the virtual machine.

I know nothing of linux, setting up a VPS or anything. it worked great with ddwrt (linux derivative if I'm correct) and I didn't have to think, just enabled ssh set up the port and logged in.

would this work with just web traffic? I was using ssh on my dd-wrt and I just literally connected with putty and tunnelled all of my web traffic through it...maybe i don't know enough about this stuff about "how it works" but wouldn't using a vpn send all data through it?

Yes, it works just as any other VPN, all your traffic is tunneled through.

Yes, it works just as any other VPN, all your traffic is tunneled through.

Is there a way to only tunnel web traffic from firefox only though?

I don't want everything else tunneled. Work has its own vpn so all work apps and outlook would need to go over that vpn.

You can probably do that locally, but I don't know enough of Windows to tell you how to redirect all your traffic through the default interface and web traffic to the VPN connection.

yeah I'm at a loss, want to thank everyone for the help...I think I'm going to install freesshd and test it...also just got a dllink dir 655 router and not a single port forward works for me so it might just be a moot point until I get the forwarding to working,

I use Hamachi on my computers, run a web proxy, and point my work browser to it through Hamachi. Works wonderfully. Add Foxy Proxy add in for firefox, and I only direct the pages I want through the VPN.

I use Hamachi on my computers, run a web proxy, and point my work browser to it through Hamachi. Works wonderfully. Add Foxy Proxy add in for firefox, and I only direct the pages I want through the VPN.

I'll have to look into that one...thanks!!

for today I'm just going to try freesshd and see if I configured it right...if that doesn't work I will take a closer look at hamachi.

I'm a fan of using putty and an ssh server at my home so I'll try that first.

I have freesshd installed and working, i can log into it through putty but I can't get my web traffic to be passed through it.

I'll post screen shots of the settings in Freesshd to see if someone can help...the forums at the website don't seem to helpful...

EDIT...screenshots

These 3 screenshots are tabs that have me the most confused. Should I have the listen address 0.0.0.0 like in the screencap or should I have 127.0.0.1 or the address of the actual computer it is installed on?

Also I have a regular password as my way to log in

the last one is tunneling, I don't understand anything under the tunneling tab.

Attachments

• tunneling.JPG
    tunneling.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 99
  • authentication.JPG
    authentication.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 113
  • ssh.JPG
    ssh.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Hey LA, can you point me in the right direction of a tutorial on installing virtual box on my vista x64 box running ubuntu for the ssh server??

I know the port forwarding but the other part i don't know.

@tuffgong ... virtualbox on Windows is pretty straight forward. Install like any other Windows applications, create a drive for it, and when booting, just mount the ISO in options.

In the Network portion of your options, just make sure your network is attached to "Host Interface", instead of NAT so that your Virtualized environment gets a unique IP.

@tuffgong ... virtualbox on Windows is pretty straight forward. Install like any other Windows applications, create a drive for it, and when booting, just mount the ISO in options.

In the Network portion of your options, just make sure your network is attached to "Host Interface", instead of NAT so that your Virtualized environment gets a unique IP.

thanks i'm going to try it out!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back