Splitting my DSL connection correctly ... how.. help?

T

ThePunkerGuy

Hi, I need to know the best way i can split my dsl with the hardware i have.. if i need new software i can get that, just tell me what. Right now i have my internet setup this way. I have the Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem that is hacked to a Pro so i can use PPP and all my comptuer can use the dsl. The modem is hooked to my 8 port switch along with all my computers. On my comps i just tell them to use my Modems IP as the gateway and then the primary and secondary dns and they can get online. The only thing i cannot do this way is Host FTP servers and Host internet games.. i can join them and everything. I have plenty of extra 266mhz, 333mhz..computers laying around i could use for a server and leave it on all the time... Is there a way i can hook up my modem to that computer and then it to the switch and like somehow be able to host games and FTP on my computers? Well.. let me know what i can do here.. I am kinda illiterate to routing internet and stuff like that but i do build computers and know everyting i need to there.. just not with the internet/routing stuff... ok.. any links, guides, help would be nice!! thanks a million guys!!
- Mike

hhmm.. thats kind of the setup i was thinking of but i dunno how to setup the NAT (heard of nat all over but dont know what i means.. sorry i am internet routing illiterate) or Internet Sharing or any of that.. and dunno how to let the other comps use the connection... etc.. could ya help me? Or give me link to guides? Or something.. and if i could i would like for the extra comp to run Win98 if it can.. thanks..
-Mike

QUESTION: if you have a DSL connection do you still need a modem?

ok, so that would allow me to host internet games and ftp servers? Thanks.
- Mike

How do i tell my other computers (some use win 98 and most use win xp) to use the ics connection from the nat?
- Mike

Well basically it seems that if setting it up your way still doesnt allow me to host games and ftp's then there is no point in me chaning my setup. The only reason i want to change the way i split me internet connection is so that i can host online games and host ftp servers.
- Mike

if you have a DSL connenction what type/kind of a modem should you use? explain please.......

If you have DSL then you need a "DSL" modem.. either PCI/USB/or Ethernet. Just ask your ISP.. they will tell ya what ya need... you cannot use your old dial up modem.. like the modem you use for 56k connections.
- Mike

To answer the question: If you want to set up an FTP behind the Gateway (the computer running NAT), you must forward ports 20-21 to the FTP server computer. If you want to host games you must forward the ports the game uses to the game server. And so on.

You said you had computer lying around. I suggest you use some Linux based software to run the Gateway because they require "less muscle". I suggest Mandrake Single Network Firewall. Mandrake is made to be easy to use and you don't need any prior Linux experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back