Splinter Cell: Double Agent demo won't work.

GEN3RIC

OSNN Senior Addict
Using the final release, build 6000, x64. I installed the game fine, but it asked for the latest version of DirectX, however Vista comes with DX10 installed, so I opted out of that. I was worried I'd lose my DX10 install, or at least mess it up.

At first there was an error upon starting up it says "ERROR" and then proceeds to give a runtime error about Visual C++ or something. Anyways I looked up the issue and its common on NVIDIA cards apparently. There was a workaround on Ubisoft's forums, add -II to the shortcut's target. It got further into startup this time, but then it said something about dx9___.dll wasnt found.

So, should I install DX9? I figured DX10 would work.....

Hmmm a lot of games need the latest single dx9 dll (not the entire package) and that's usually what they install. However, I don't know how that would affect Vista?

I am once again having issues with the "MUST CHECK" Runtime error... even with the supposed workaround (adding two capital i's as the argument to the shortcut) it doesn't work either way. now I cant even recreate the dx9_.dll error.

This was also after I installed the Oct2006 DX9 runtime. (which installed fine, and dxdiag showed that I obviously was still primarily using DX10). Those damn dx9 dll's already existed though. They have to, for Aero Glass alone!

Hmm.. still curious. And its not exactly something that is abundantly discussed on the interwebbernet :(

This probably isn't very helpful, but the gaming situation on Vista isn't exactly great right now. NVIDIA still has to release a decent set of drivers that don't cause frame-tearing and abysmal framerates.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the situation will be resolved in time for the January launch, but until then, I would suggest setting up a smaller XP partition just for gaming. Even if you do manage to get around this particular error, game quality and performance is going to be much worse than what you'll get with XP at the moment.

Even though Aero runs on DX9, I sincerely doubt that it has the entire DX9 subsystem in place. I suspect that the DX9 API is simply an interface to DX10.

Nvidia should be releasing Forceware X drivers soon.

Even though Aero runs on DX9, I sincerely doubt that it has the entire DX9 subsystem in place. I suspect that the DX9 API is simply an interface to DX10.

Nvidia should be releasing Forceware X drivers soon.

I spoke with Ubisoft a couple of days ago and they informed me that they will be updating patches for DX10 on some of their titles when Vista has been released. Until then you will have to use an XP machine to run your games on until this has been made available. :speechless:

Nivida have held back on their release of these drivers again in support to DX10 although ATI are working alongside Microsoft to develop drivers specially for DX10 which apparently are going to be awesome.

GAME TITLE FOR PC WILL NOT RUN ON WINDOWS VISTA AT THE MOMENT UNTIL THEY SUPPORT DX10 AND ARE PATCH TO RUN ON THIS OPERATING SYSTEM. :rolleyes: installing DX9 will not make any difference at all.

Games will install, but will run dreadfully... :nervous:

darn..... I cant hold it against these companies to cater to the select few who are using Vista .. well, yes I can, and I am. :)

I spoke with Ubisoft a couple of days ago and they informed me that they will be updating patches for DX10 on some of their titles when Vista has been released. Until then you will have to use an XP machine to run your games on until this has been made available. :speechless:

Nivida have held back on their release of these drivers again in support to DX10 although ATI are working alongside Microsoft to develop drivers specially for DX10 which apparently are going to be awesome.

GAME TITLE FOR PC WILL NOT RUN ON WINDOWS VISTA AT THE MOMENT UNTIL THEY SUPPORT DX10 AND ARE PATCH TO RUN ON THIS OPERATING SYSTEM. :rolleyes: installing DX9 will not make any difference at all.

Games will install, but will run dreadfully... :nervous:

Some games do work fine - i.e. WoW, Source-based games.

Yet another reason for me to delay in installing Vista. :(

I got this game to work in Multiplayer by the way.. But I discovered my lackluster hardware was not enough to enjoy the game... so whatever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back