Speedtouch Modem keeps dying...

R

Rockshox

I have BT Openworld and the Stingray (Alcatel Speedtouch modem thing) and verson 1.6 of the software

Every so often it looses connectivity, and the little icon goes yellow in the traybar.

Ive turned off all the power management etc but it still does it and the only way to fix it is to unplug the modem from the USB port and reinsert...

Any Ideas???

Yeah, it says 'Initalising ADSL line' but nothing else.. if i unplug then plug back in it comes up no prob...

Then try that one more time, then you might want to get the chip drivers, if not you might have a virus !

or just try the 1.4 driver sometimes the 1.6 version can cause a few problems

The 1.6 drivers r very bad. I got them and got disconnected ALL the time. Other people had same problem. I advise u to go back to the 1.4 drivers. If you dont have them and want them tell me ill send them to you.

Ive tried the 1.4 & 1.6 drivers and still disconnects me!

Is there anything else i can check? Ive done the power settings etc....

Did you get this from BT ? if so go to the BT website and get there drivers, has worked for a few people.

I know what excatly the problem is! U need to get DSL! Yep its just 49$ a month, but luckly I pay 29$ a month cause i get a discount. :)

I do

I do have DSL... its just in the UK its called ADSL....

Oh ok
i have ADSL dont work cause i'm in the US.

Actually I believe this problem has to do with a power management feature in WinXP, RockShox. Does this problem ocurr with this USB device only or ALL USB devices when using your USB ports? Here is a fix if you answered yes: If you go into the hardware tab in your "My Computer" properties, choose the device manager and navigate to where your USB controller is (probably the last item listed). From there go to where your USB hub is (internal or external by name, there may be several depending on the number of ports and location of them inside your computer). Go to it's properties (by right-clicking). There should be a power management tab, deselect the option to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". The box should now be blank, choose OK. Repeat this for ALL USB hubs listed. If this doesn't solve your problem, perhaps it is your driver.

Email me if you have any questions, bferris@jintranet.com

Not sure about the modem u have - but can u use it with a Network Card? or do you have to use it with USB?
Nic cards are very cheat these days - Just a thought.

if turning off the option "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" doesnt work, from experience I know that if you use a PCI usb card or a USB hub, it fixes the problem (I know a guy on IRC who had the same problem and a pci card seemed to fix it)

DSL Modems

To answer your question beatlesdb, it's USB only. We call it the Stingray at work. What you are describing are two common problems I incounter every day. First (this goes for all DSL modems) I stress that you keep it away from all EMI's(Electro Magnetic Interfearance) that includes, but not limited to monitor. speakers, and any high voltage product. That will cause modem lock and you will have to "power cycle" it in order to regain sync with the services Rback. Second is IP addressing, does the modem lock every few hours? We incounter this with some customers, we use the PPoE protocol and when we switch the IP's on the customers it locks the modem. Their is not much you can do for the latter of the two. Except whine, nag, snarl. and complain to your ISP and see if they will give you a diffrent modem. Oh and by the way I am a Tier2 technician for SBC DSL.
i_speed.jpg

Later,
Heineken Man

Quick question:

after installing the USB modem on XP, i continually get the error 769. Which of course is usually fix on a PPPoE connection by enabled NIC, which DOES NOT EXIST!!!!

what can I do to get that PC connected??

Graham

do you guys leave your dsl/cable modem on 24/7? and will it brake if you dont turn it off once in a while?

nah, i personally dont have a speedtouch modem, i use cable modem. but i know people who do have the adsl speedtouch modem that leave it connected 24/7 with no problems. as long as u have a firewall of sorts (so the script kiddies dont try an nuke ur pc to buggery while u sleep or are afk) then there will be no problems with leaving it on all day, every day :)

no firewall?
i recommend zonealarm or norton personal firewall/norton internet security (http://www.zonelabs.com and http://www.symantec.com respectively)

have fun :)

edited:
jus read ur post again :p
our cable modem is on 24/7 cuz i cant be bothered pressing the power button. also, my gf uses ntl broadband, and it comes through the tv set (and the tv set must be turned on 24/7 to receive any updates/changes that ntl send to the client boxes which nobody knows about).

if u leave ur pc on 24/7, then id say leave it on. if u turn ur pc off at nights, then it'd be jus as easy for u to turn that off too altho it wont damage the modem if u dont turn it off ever.

is all dsl/cable modem the same or some give off better speed and if do. what is the best dsl modem out there?

geez all the problems with the stingray, anybody got complaints about any of the availible ADSL router/hubs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back