speed up internet

B

Bulldoque

Here my problem:
I read about a posibility to speed up internet by entering the IP adress of certain pages into a file in order to speed up DNS search by XP. But now - to reedit the values - I cannot find them. The problem ? If the IP adress has changed XP cannot find the pages anymore :( These files (i guess 2) must be somewhere in the windows directory and are very small.

Thank you in advance

Does anyone know how much this would speed up things? I'm guessing it's pretty marginal. On a modem connection there'd probably be no difference. On faster connections (2Mbit+) there could be a noticable difference in time between hitting enter (after typing a URL) and the start of the page loading.

Eh I find it's marginal either way, only time I find it makes a difference is if your DNS from your provider sucks.

Get FASTNET 99

It will scan bookmarks, history, and current hosts file. You can then verify them, it will delete dups, and delete bad address if you want.

This DOES improve DNS lookup dramatically. Try it you will see.

Plus it gives you a lot of info about connection, I have been using it for years.

:D ITS FREE

here

http://www.geocities.com/gcriaco/

New features
Email checker
Port scanner
Interfaces Informations function
IP Address Informations function
Ping, Traceroute and WhoIs functions available also for URLs not contained in the Hosts file
Graphic added to the Ping function
Progress bar added to the Ping function
Automatic Popup windows closing: Geocities Popup boxes managed
New tray icon showing network traffic (bytes sent and received)
Added option "AutoSave the Hosts file on exit"
Added option "Add FastNet99 to MSIE's Tools"
Added option "Tray Icon showing Network traffic"
Report function shows Log files related to closed popup windows and deleted e-mails
New Splash screen
NetLauncher: drag & drop capabilities added to the applications list
Lower process priority (no more momentarily freeze during some activities)
Up/Down Arrow icons showing sort order added to avery list view column headers
HostsMerge program embedded in FastNet99 (Import function)
Numerous other minor improvements and bug fixes

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back