Speed of Windows Explorer

P

photoexpress

I use a lot of .jpg and .tif files. In Windows Explorer on XP Professional, it takes a long time for the files to be listed. The icon beside the file name (in details mode) changes from a generic file icon to the Photoshop icon (that's the link I've chosen) one file at a time, and while this is happening, my CPU usage is at 100%. I've used TweakUI to speed up the menus, as suggested on this site, and that helped. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

it might go a bit faster if you set the particular folders to "details" view so you only have to deal with file names instead of icons or thumbnails..

What are your specs...
Ram?
CPU?
you defrag on a regular basis?

You can also change the properties of the file type to use a generic icon. Select
- Tools | Folder Options
- click the File Types tab
- select the extension to be modified
- click the Advanced button.

This fix may not work because Windows is loading Photoshop for every jpg file in order to display the icon. I hope it works, though.

I am using a brand new Dell, 2.0 Ghz with 1 GB RAM, tons of free space, defragged on a regular basis, so that is not an issue. Also, this is while viewing in "details" mode. It is the tiny icon shown in details. Of the 4 computers I have used with XP Professional on them, all of them have had this problem. I think it is directly related to XP. I tried changing the icon and that didn't seem to help. Any other ideas?

For what it is worth - I am running XP Home and as my default Icon am using Photo Studio 2000 SE (because it was preloaded on the computer) and whenever I change from one view to another (ie detail, list, ICON, or tile - the change and redisplay of the Icon (the little one you are talking about) is almost instantanious. Naturally it takes ahwile to change over to the thumbnail view.

I know it is no help - but at least a comparison for you. I am on P4, 1.6 GHz and 512 Ram & XP Home!

I think it would help to associate the pictures with another application, I have Irfanview for open and Photoshop for the right click edit option.
The most influence on speed has the folderview, you choose. The quickest is list, the slowest thumbnail (if not cached), with detail mode on a close second place. Especially if you have many details enabled. Windows has to read every single file to display these details. Try to disable some of the detail columns that you don't need. Picture size (not file size) usually takes the most time.

You guys hit the nail on the head. I completely disassociated the .jpg files and they load up quick as lightning. I am now convinced that it is an issue with XP and Photoshop. I will search for answers at Adobe. Thank you all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back