Speechless Beepless

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
Hiya,

Just purchased a ASUS A7S333 Mobo, Heard it was pretty good and has some nice features,

I also bought speakers and another 256 of ram for it, I am buying a Athlon 1800xp to go with it (all i can afford :D ) I set it all up, and put the ram in, put all the connectors on, graphics etc.

I put the cpu in (a xp 2000) and put the heatsink on and plugged it all in, nothing came up on the screen then the cpu started smelling of burning, and i thought ow fcuk there goes the CPU.

So I am guessing the cpu is buggered, so i ordered a new 1800, I was wondering would the mobo display even the BIOS on the screen without a CPU? and it doesn't make any system beeps either, I checked and double checked the system speaker is in the rite connector, any ideas?

Skazz

Ouch !!! How long was that thing on before you smelt burning?

Did the cpu fan turn on?

You did put grease between the heatsink and CPU ?

As for what will the bios show without a cpu , It should still post and you should be able to look in the bios (imo)

I mean if a cpu is put into a board not all will auto detect , we need to go in and set some stuff ... This sounds nasty sorry to say ...

Have you ever built a PC before ? I am sure you have the .pdf and have read that over a few times ...

find out how to clear the CMOS there is a jumper on most boards that we move to reset the board.

As a last resort if you cant reset CMOS carefully remove the battery for 15 seconds and replace it that will reset it

Then go over all your connections ( twice ) I hope you did not fry that board ... as for the CPU burnt smell dont sound good ...

Good luck

ps .. strip it down to one stick of ram ( one you know is good ) just to get started ....

Well actually I fried the CPU in my board lol,

My pc stayed on for bout 15 secs then turned off cos I guess the CPU was too hot lol!

I didn't put grease lol, I have just bought some with ma new CPU, will put some on this cpu too (my 1700) cos this cpu is running way too high, it used to be like 40 - 50 now its more like 60 - 70 :eek: :eek:

The fan did turn on, The new mobo turns on and I hear it initailising with the hard drive and that, but nothing appears on the screen :(

Skazz

Ok when you say you hear the hard drive kicking in thats ok but we want the bios ???

Are you saying you have no display at all on post? if so do you have another vid card around any old one .. even an old pci card anything ?

Need to see bios first !!!!!

sucks for your cpu fried :(

What is on the harddrive your booting into ? If its winxp and this is a new board and new CPU .. you would be much better off to boot off the cd and format and start fresh .. or use a boot disk and start from new...

You need to get video somehow its a must

Ok found an old pci graphics card my trusy old savage s3, it still don't display anything :(

I am almost certain the mobo is fine, 1. its brand new 2. the lights turn on the mobo and all the pc lights turn on

Skazz

Ok well I guess you need to wait till you have a CPU you can use ... and just make sure your got grease between the heatsink and cpu and that your voltages are correct ... jumper settings checked twice ..... and have to give it a go ... not alot too do without seeing the darn screen huh :eek:

Ok, thanx for the help Kermit ;)

Hope I can help you out one day :)

Just have to wait till my CPU arrives on Friday,

Skazz

Your welcome please come back on let me know what happens

I will look into this thread Iwant to know how it goes ;)

Originally posted by skazzyuk
Ok found an old pci graphics card my trusy old savage s3, it still don't display anything :(

I am almost certain the mobo is fine, 1. its brand new 2. the lights turn on the mobo and all the pc lights turn on

Skazz
yo man that doesnt mean ure mother board is fine. acutally its probably the one causing the probelm. first of all thats what happened to me except it was my motherbaord and my gfx card. try getting ur motherboard replaced. and it probably fried ur cpu thats what happend with ur first cpu. mine wouldnt boot either just show these weird colors but thats from the gfx card which is not the case for u.:)

ohh yeah

ohh yeah forgot to say. also on mine the lights would turn on and the fan would spin and everything that just doesnt mean that everythings fine with the mobo hence the problems:huh:

Well I found the reciept for when I had the original machine built, so I will be getting it all replaced until its ship shape :D

Skazz

you said you didnt put on the thermal grease say that was a typo error or did you really not put it on as that would have killed it:eek:

No joke? If you don't put paste it blows up? blimey, well I thought that like metal was the best conductor so I figured that it would be ok lol

Guess not,

Skazz:D :D

na the heatsink alone cant take the heat away fast enough to cool the cpu cuz its not actually touching the die so no maximum heat transfer which is bad

your processor died within 1 second of power on ...a pretty harmles death :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back