speakers and soundcard

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
what are your thoughts on the altec lansing 2100's and the altec vs4121 speakers. also would i benefit from a new soundcard, i have a soundblaster live! value soundcard that i got when i got my computer. any recommendations on new cards that dont cost an arm and a leg. nothing with 5,6 or 7 channel support because i dont plan on buying a true gaming speaker set. thanks in advance.

im possibly looking at the

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (its OEM from newegg) and its $73

-or-

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (newegg) and its $75

would i notice a difference?

The Guillemot Fortissimo III is far superior to the Audigy cards for the end user. Its drivers are better developed and the card is
much cheaper than the Audigy.

Personally, I own the Audigy 2 because I needed the amplified front inputs and midi connections, but if you dont need those, and you want to save a LOT of money, get the Fortissimo. My Audigy has been a headache from day one... My next expensive sound card will be in the $300-500 range, so it will have both inputs and quality. For now, I miss the Fortissimo I had--gave it to my little brother.

::EDIT:: If your Soundblaster Live already supports 5.1, there's no need to upgrade it! I had the Live 5.1 Platinum before my Audigy, and it wasn't any better.

i have the live! value its not 5.1 ready and what is the difference between the OEM audigy 2 and the retail. on newegg i was looking at the pics and saw that the ports on the retail were gold. is it like this on the OEM or is that the only difference between them?

OEM=No box, no games, no cables. The boxed one comes with Hitman 2 and Soldier of Fortune 2.

Oh and don't forget those awful Creative drivers...If you lose your driver cd and have to reformat Windows (as I did), none of the drivers/programs downloaded from Creative's site work! Seriously! I have to use the KX Project drivers now, because I can't download anything useful from Creative.

does anyone else think this upgrade is worth it and will i notice a difference. set aside the poor drivers and other crap.

i've got a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card ($65 when i got it) and Logitech Z-560s (4.1 surround, 400 watts). i got rid of my SB Audigy because it gave me tons of headaches, too.

dude jsut keep the card your have.
My Live! Value works just fine with my Yamaha YSTMS201W (2.1) and sounds great and I've never had problems with drivers (that I ahve always downloaded from creative).

If you do have money to burn just send it to me and I'll spend it in your name.

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Oh and don't forget those awful Creative drivers...If you lose your driver cd and have to reformat Windows (as I did), none of the drivers/programs downloaded from Creative's site work! Seriously! I have to use the KX Project drivers now, because I can't download anything useful from Creative.
My downloaded drivers work splendid. :confused:

My downloaded drivers also work perfectly, actuallly I am on my 4th or is it my 5? Creative Card and they all have been as good as gold! Mind you i went from a live 5.1 straight to the audigy2 and missed thefirst audigy (which was ment to be a nightmare with XP initially)

couple things...

1) i noticed a good improvement a long time ago when i upgraded from my live! 4.1 to my current audigy. if you consider yourself an audiophile of any level or want the eax2/eax3 capability, you'll appreciate the upgrade.

2) those hercules cards do get great reviews, especially the fortissimos. if i was looking for a card on any kind of budget, that'd definitely be it.

3) the downloaded creative drivers work fine for me, but i believe i had trouble with the software (namely, surround mixer). actually, maybe it didn't even come in the downloadable package (?). so since then i've had to install surround mixer from the cd, uninstall the drivers it installs automatically, and install the latest downloaded drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back