Spare HDD

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Now that im over the problems I was having with a messed up HD ( I have luckily managed to save the important stuff!) I now find myself with a formatted 30GB drive.

My question is what would be the best thing to use it for? Partition it? New OS (multiboot)? Something else?

Your ideas would be much appreciated!

:D

music and films i reckon (altho no doubt someone will say thats condoning piracy :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by jonifen
music and films i reckon (altho no doubt someone will say thats condoning piracy :rolleyes: )
Home movies and spare time composed music of course. ;)

I'd leave the drive as one partition and use it for storage since I take it it's a secondary disk.

Originally posted by Zedric
Home movies and spare time composed music of course. ;)
it's 100% legal to own mp3's of songs/albums you bought, correct?

most of my... erhm... all of my collection of mp3's was ripped from cd's i bought. :eek:

I'd say go for the file storage. keeping the important files on a seperate HDD to the o/s can be better as any problems with the o/s wont affect the files you want to keep.

Originally posted by taurus
it's 100% legal to own mp3's of songs/albums you bought, correct?
Yep, I do the same. Its so much easier than looking for the cd which has got the one song you want to listen to on.
It's not like you are ripping off the records companies as you have bought the cd and I believe you are allowed to make a backup as long as both are not in use at any one time.

Originally posted by Chris
I'd say go for the file storage. keeping the important files on a seperate HDD to the o/s can be better as any problems with the o/s wont affect the files you want to keep.

Ditto.
Stuff that you don't want to lose if Windows decides to screw up anytime. Just format the primary drive and start over without having to worry about critical documents, music, downloads etc.

Well...you could dual-boot with linux/BSD if you're interested.

Thanks for all the replies...im gonna use it to store my most important files (music, docs etc).

One other question first though - whats the best way to format it? In My Computer you can right click > format and then chose either FAT32 or NTFS. Is this the best/simplist way or should i do it through DOS or another program (eg PartitionMagic)?

Thanks again!

Yes this is by far the simplest way. And it's good. So just format it to NTFS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back