Space problem on HD

S

sshenriksen

Hey Guys.
I have a HD on 122 GB. I currently use 57 GB of that, but Win XP says I only have 1,2 GB free on that partition. How do I fix that? Do I have to delete everything? or what.

Please help.

Sune

I'm not real clear about what you're saying. You have a 122 gig hard drive and your using 57 gig of it but XP is reporting you only have 1-2 gig left, is that correct? Or, are you saying you have this drive partitioned somehow, and if so, how do you have it partitioned up. I think you're not getting any responses because your post is a tad bit confusing. Try restating your issue for us and we'll help you nuke it out.

I understand what he means. There's probably an error in displaying the free space. Run Scandisk to fix it. :)

If it doesn't work, report it to us and we'll try to help you out.

The drive is 122 GB. 1 partition. Your assumption is correct, and I am sorry about the confusion. I am not sure how to run scandisk in XP pro?

:confused:

Sune

Thanks by the way TIHI

Right click on the drive>properties>tools>error checking>scan now. Then youll have to reboot and it will run.

OK. I ran the error check. It came back with nothing. Then I tried Defragmenting the drive. It told me it couldn't, because the disk space was reserved for system. What do I do? I deleted some of the files, so now I am at 43 GB, but it still says that I have 2,2 GB free. I can't write to the drive anymore, because there is less than 1% left.

Any suggestions?

Sune:confused:

Go to control panel> administrative tools> computer management> expand the 'storage' branch> highlight 'disk management'> highlight your drive and determine if the it's been formatted utilizing the entire 122 gig. If not, pick up a copy of Partition Magic and use it to retrieve the unused space... hopefully you'll have enough room on the drive for it to work ok. If you have to delete anything or remove any programs be sure to empty the recycle bin to free up that space.

so your missing half of your hard drive space?

run the fdisk utility in dos and display your partitions just to make sure nothing is hidden.

Hey guys. Thank you for the many suggestions. I am going to format the drive here in a few days. I remember seeing somewhere that that would help, and it is also what catch 23 said. I do need the space though for webserver.

I will get back to you with the result.

Sune;)

Yes. It worked. If you ever have that problem just format the drive, and it works. :)

Sune

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back