SP2 will not download....

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK - I have a CD on order and I'm sure a friend will bung one my way soon....

but during this thread I tried to donwload the network version of SP2 - both with the Mozilla donwload manager and then after that failed three times with IE - every time it fails to complete the download. I'm starting to get paranoid about my ISP or something strange - anyone any ideas?

Just another one of those things I would like to tidy up - no biggie.

Microsoft Tech Flash

Microsoft TechNet Flash
Volume 6, Issue 19 : September 2004

TechNet Flash is a free newsletter packed with the latest
information

From the Editor
More Time to Prepare for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Hello frogg,

Although some administrators may be wondering why their peers
apparently haven't planned ahead, Microsoft has responded to
customer requests for another extension before Windows XP SP2 is
automatically delivered to computers as a critical update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
TechNet Flash readers may recall the early August release of an
SP2 Blocker tool to help IT pros better manage the update by
setting a Windows registry key that instructs the system to skip
downloading and installing SP2 for 120 days while still allowing
other critical updates. Last week, the Microsoft SP2 team
announced that it has doubled that period to 240 days. The
blocking mechanism will prevent Automatic Updates and Windows
Update from delivering SP2 to Windows-based computers until
April 12, 2005.

(name witheld)
Editor

I just copied this from my TechNet site. ??? Could be the reason for the all the trouble.no? frogg_mann :mad:

Man, you seem to be having some seriously bad luck with anything related to SP2.
As Lee suggested, try downloading the full installation package. Hopefully you're on a broadband connection.

@frogg_mann: The SP2 automatic update is delayed only if the SP2 blocker tool mentioned in that story is specifically used on a system.

yeah, thanks anyway Frogg - I am on Broadbeans indeed Netryder - and will take up that link shortly.... just hope something finally works for me. Luckily I can smile about this - it is only a Duron after all, I am using it to upgrade the 333 MHz 98SE machine which has sacrificed it's dongle and left my net for my three year old daughter to have "fun" with....

so - not mission critical, but something I intend to fix one way or another.

Lee said:

bugger! :angry: :mad: that's the exact link that has timed out on me four or five times already - I knew what I was trying to do and that is the download I was after in the first place ( the fact I could not complete it is the only reason I tried auto update after my reformat!)

Think I'll go and flash the BIOS just for the hell of it - if I am lucky it will kill this ****ty Duron 20 GB rig and put me out of my misery!

this is weird - seriously - I downloaded the flash file to the desktop on the Duron then started a d/l of the whole SP2 for the hell of it - so far it is up to 35% (farther than ever before)..... and to add to the weirdness IE has crashed when trying to refresh the BIOS d/l source page (but being used to IE crashed I have left that hang whilst the SP2 d/l continues, of course)

What to make of this?

IMHO the DURON machine is ****ting itself about the BIOS flash I am about to inflict and has decided to play ball and allow the downloading of the entire shebang of SP2....

I will let you know if it accepts it eventually - or if it is consigned to FreeBSD'dom...

(Up to 40% now more than on any previous attempt!)

nope - stalled at 250 mB of the 266 required! :mad: >>> goes to your link to try again while I push up the ZZZzzs

link failed again - but DCC of pre-release from Xie worked! Thanks a lot xBaSeD!

Mainframeguy said:
but during this thread I tried to donwload the network version of SP2 - both with the Mozilla donwload manager and then after that failed three times with IE - every time it fails to complete the download. QUOTE]

LOL - consider yourself lucky! hahaha. I had sp2 installed for 1 day and reimaged my machine back to sp1, I couldnt stand sp2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back