SP2 Official Release

Got it already!
tongue.gif

having tried several betas and the RTM version, something about SP2's creating bugs and annoying "automatic updates" that will no doubt kick me out of a game at a crucial moment makes me wary to download this.

got it before yesterday :p
i REALLY hate that annoying security center that tells me "windows firewall isnt on...blablablabla". thank god for zonealarm :D

I can't even get to microsoft.com. Then again, I can't get to many sites. tsk tsk.

w00t w00t

Now what to do? Download it now or wait till the masses work out the remaining bugs?

hmmmmmmmm

I'll wait a week or two. :D

is it really worth the update? for the average user who doesn't get the worm virus and need firewall stuff should i do it? what is the stuff that is updated on that end? (i heard it was virus firewall stuff why i asked)

It has all the patches since sp1 with it. So ineffect it give you a much more secure system. When formatting you don't have to chase all the 'fixes' up.

I've been extremely pleased with SP2 since its release, even the later betas. I installed a slipstreamed copy last night on a friend's computer, with an unattended setup and all, and experienced no hangups.

mooo said:
is it really worth the update? for the average user who doesn't get the worm virus and need firewall stuff should i do it? what is the stuff that is updated on that end? (i heard it was virus firewall stuff why i asked)
Definitely worth the update. Don't have much time to detail everything, but here's a brief list of what's included in SP2:

- Security Center and Windows Firewall
- Automatic Updates and Windows Update v5
- Popup blocking, ActiveX security improvements, and Add-on management in Internet Explorer
- Better wireless networking
- Improved Bluetooth support
- DirectX 9.0c
- Hardware/software-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP) to prevent malicious code from running
- Large number of bug-fixes
- Code-optimizations to improve overall system performance

I just did a fresh install of XP and installed SP2. Seems to run a little faster and hopefully no bugs with installing my programs back on.

Let us know how it went, Scooby.. I know a lot of application developers had to scramble to make their apps compatible and not have problems with SP2.

I have removed SP2 RTM (released on Windows Beta almost a week ago) and installed this one. What do I see? It's the exact same RTM version. Dunno if that's really supposed to be there, but it was definitely not in SP1, so I expected that the official release of SP2 wouldn't have the word rtm either. *shrugs*

Ah well, doesn't matter much anyway. xD Only lost one hour of my lifetime. :D

In the process of slipstreaming the service pack. yay! Will do a re-install once it's done. Haven't had a fresh install of XP in over a year.

:) any sign of the royale theme as widely expected a few weeks back in these forums :) it would be great to have them included ,as it would be a nice change from the three colours avaiable now :) :eek:

hrm, when i tried to install SP2 after it extracted all the files i got this message:
Service Pack 2 Setup Error
The core system file (kernel) used to start this computer is not a Microsoft file. The Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327101 at http://support.microsoft.com
i went and search for the article but it isnt there. Anyone know how to sort this or what made this happen in the first place

It's here: (so it is there if you bothered looking) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327101
Error message: Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified

Applies To

This article was previously published under Q327101
SYMPTOMS

When you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), you may receive the following error message:
Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327101 at http://support.microsoft.com.

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if your computer has a modified version of the Ntoskrnl.exe file that uses the /KERNEL switch in the Boot.ini file. This condition may exist because your computer has a third-party program installed that customizes the graphics that are displayed when your computer starts up. Third-party programs that can cause this condition include the following:
  • BootXP
  • LogonUI Boot Randomizer
RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
  1. Click OK to close the error message.
  2. Click Start, click Run, and then type appwiz.cpl in the Open box.
  3. Click the program that customizes the startup graphics, and then click Remove.
  4. Restart your computer, and then try to install SP1 again. If the problem persists, go to step 5.
  5. On the desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  6. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  7. Under System Startup, click Edit.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.
  8. Locate and then delete the /KERNEL= switch.
  9. Save and then close the Boot.ini file.
  10. Restart your computer.
  11. Try to install Windows XP SP1.
NOTE: After you complete the steps to resolve the problem, SP1 should install correctly. However, if your computer is running a modified Ntoskrnl.exe file, you may receive a message when you try to install SP1 that states that the SP1 setup program will replace the modified Ntoskrnl.exe file with an updated version.
STATUS

This behavior is by design.
MORE INFORMATION

For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 327120 Error Message: Windows Service Pack 1 Has Detected That One or More Protected Core System Files on Your Computer Have Been Modified

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
The information in this article applies to:

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1

thekore said:
i went and search for the article but it isnt there. Anyone know how to sort this or what made this happen in the first place
Have you used anything that replaces explorer as your shell or something? Could try and do ' sfc /scannow ' and see if that fixes it. :)

cryogenic said:
Let us know how it went, Scooby.. I know a lot of application developers had to scramble to make their apps compatible and not have problems with SP2.
All the apps that I have tried so far work just fine. =)

dragonbeat said:
:) any sign of the royale theme as widely expected a few weeks back in these forums :) it would be great to have them included ,as it would be a nice change from the three colours avaiable now :) :eek:
Nope, the Royale theme isn't included in SP2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back