SP2/Hotmail

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Has SP2 made any changes to Hotmail? I don't use Hotmail myself, but my neighbour has been asking me. It seems that before he installed SP2 he could access his Hotmail Inbox directly from his desktop. Now he can only open Hotmail after Outlook opens. I don't see a problem with that really, but he finds it annoying and wondered if there was a fix. I have tried searching, but haven't come up with anything.

Maybe his defaults have been changed. my computer>control panel>internet options>programs> E-Mail the default might have changed from hotmail to outlook express, just change it back to hotmail and click apply.

I was just thinking also, with respect to what I wrote, make sure the setting is back to hotmail and then right click desktop>new>shortcut in box type mailto:
then next type a name for shortcut (I use --Quick Mail--), then finish.

I can't recall if this was removed or not during and sp2 upgrade on another machine or not. Didn't happen on this one when upgraded.

I put SP2 on yesterday and I think it changed a shortcut I had on mydesktop to open MSExplorer for hotmail to my default email - Mozilla.

I think your friend could just remake the shortcut - that's what I did.

Thanks Guys. I'll be checking his computer over the weekend and I'll try your suggestions.

Just an update. I checked his computer, and sure enough all the defaults were as he had set them, but his Hotmail interface was completely different from what it had been pre SP2. We uninstalled SP2, and his Hotmail returned to the original interface, which he preferred. So there is no doubt SP2 changed his Hotmail, which he runs through MSN Messenger.

I've noticed that the MSN Add-In for Windows Messenger no longer works with SP2. The add-in lets you know when you receive new mail in your msn or hotmail account.

It works with windows messenger version 4.7.2009, but not with the updated version that comes with sp2 (4.7.3000). However, I downgraded my windows messenger to 4.7.2009 with sp2 installed and the plug-in functions normally.

Thanks King Ratt. Do these older versions install over the version in SP2?

Why didn't he mention messenger yesterday! I could have just told him to use messenger (6.2.0137).

You access from your notification area not desktop with this particular application.

Sorry Lee, it was only after I checked my neighbour's computer that I noticed he was using Messenger, prior to that he had only mentioned Hotmail to me. Is that (6.2.0137) version different to the one posted by King Ratt?

Use MSN messenger, not Windows Messenger..no problems then

hi,

I have the same problem. I want access to my hotmail account from MSN Messenger, but SP2 has prevented this. I downgraded to 4.7.0105 but when I try to use it, I get the message that I must install the newer version of MSN Messenger to continue. It's very irritating.

Any solutions? (Bar uninstalling SP2?)

Thanks,
Chris

I have heard of this - typical solution is to dump one of the MSN or Windows messngers (personally I would dump both!) - but it is a known issue and - dare I say it =- one you maybe should take up with M£ support?

With Msn Messenger installed and Windows Messenger uninstalled, some options don't work: ask for remote assistance (you need Windows Messenger... :mad: ),...
Is this normal ?

I use windows messenger, I use mailwasher pro for all my e-mail accounts except yahoo, aol and gmail.

Only thing I need messenger for if I suddenly get an e-mail to an account it pops up a notice.

^ That's the only thing I used Messenger for. And I miss not getting pop-ups alerting me of mail! Will MailWasher Pro do that for Hotmail? If yes, I'm sold!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back