SP2 Holdouts

segamil

OSNN Addict
I've been procrastinating for some time on whether to install SP2 on my WIN XP Pro installation because it's working so well right now. I guess I've also read a few horror stories about continuous restarts and software issues with some programs that seem to require endless patches and patience just to get your PC back to where it was working just fine in the first place. I take great pains in removing spyware and protecting my PC from virus and internet attacks and I use Mozilla. Am I really missing out by not installing SP2?

and Am I the only one who feels this way or are there other cautious souls out there?

I'm with you. I have yet to read anything about SP2 that makes me want to install it. All my programs run fine, everything is configured just the way I like. Installing SP2 just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

beh i did it just fine no problems only had to updaet style xp lol acualy have done it about 50 times on diffrent machines a few thing needed updated but overall the IE pop up blocker is nice ( i use firefox for alot)

just do it. CONFORME JUST LIKE ME

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel guilty about not making the entire world safer by hanging on to a perfectly good installation of SP1 and saying no to progress...

I did one of our 2 machines at home and its ok SP2 runs ok for day to day but I have encountered problems at work with SP2 and some applications we use.

i updated to sp2 right away, it went off flawlessly and i have had no problems at all.

I installed SP2 because it has a better interface for WiFi.

delta4s, how was it better for wifi? I'm running a linksys wireless network.

Got this from a latest APC magazine.

XP SP2 downloads as at October 21, 2004 = 106 million.

Number delivered via auto update = 80 million.

I think the people with problems are few & far between & unless you have a heavily patched XP or sp1 then go with SP2, even then go with it & do a clean install while you are at it.

Installed SP2 on 4 machines with very different hardware configurations (one desktop, three notebooks). All of them are running perfectly well. All systems were fine even before installing SP2 (or SP1, for that matter). I just saw no reason not to update, so I did.

Hipster Doofus said:
XP SP2 downloads as at October 21, 2004 = 106 million.

Number delivered via auto update = 80 million...
what we need is the total XP license numbers - then we can work out those without SP2 :p

Anyways - I run five machines networked here and of those I have moved three to SP2. They all run OK, but (you may ask) why do I keep a couple back? The answer is that the two I have held at SP1 are the ones I use for my professional work online, where I require a VPN connection. VPN connectivity is one of the areas (this is documented) that may well get screwed up by an SP2 installation. I am waiting (in vain) for M$ to patch this or provide an updated SP2 that addresses the issue. The company I work for is also mandating NO-ONE takes SP2 (and they have thousands of machines) at this time, and advises me they find Visual Studio to be adversely affected also.

So - if you are just a home user and have a free afternoon - by all emans take a backup and then go with SP2 (I have heard it is easy to backout if there are problems). But do not feel bad if you are holding back. Eventually chances are you MAY hit problems increasingly where M$ tell you the solution is "install SP2" - This will be the way they finish their rollout. Whether SP2 will fix these problems, that is another story hehe.

I wouldn't install SP2 if I were you. It's just a new fad kids are coming up with these days and just like hot pants, it'll be gone again before you know it.

SP2 is like a box of kandies.If you dont open it, you dont know if you gonna like them. Better if you want to install SP2, to do a clean install of a slipstream XP.In that case you might have less problems.

maddoctor said:
SP2 is like a box of kandies.If you dont open it, you dont know if you gonna like them. Better if you want to install SP2, to do a clean install of a slipstream XP.In that case you might have less problems.

this is actually a suggeston that makes a lot of sense - wait for your next reformat and go that way

I would like to see total XP #'s not just what was said to be installed.

In our multi-national corporation SP2 is still on hold as it is in a lot of "BIG" company's.

I would only really say you need it if you are using a wireless card in your machine. The whole way wireless is done in SP2 is much better than SP1

I make everyone i see with a laptop give it to me to install sp2, and let me tell you something, its great it increases performance, and has a nicer feel to it (i can feel it, maybe u think im crazy) also it inreases security. if u say well i have a better firewall, thats probably true, i hate the firewall and always turn it off, but just to make sure the computer is secure, and as u all know i love being up to date, i cant be behind, just one of my pet pieves. so now i have installed sp2 on well over 100 machines! SERVICE PACK 2 TO THE WORLD AND ALL IS WELL! They were thinking of making a yearbook award for service pack 2 and giving it to me, i told them no give it to the technichian ( the guy that reccomended we dont install sp2, and let the sasser worm attack our school a year after it was out) LOL!

Kermit_The_Frog said:
I would like to see total XP #'s not just what was said to be installed.

In our multi-national corporation SP2 is still on hold as it is in a lot of "BIG" company's.
not, one i know of for sure, the biggest oil company in the world Saudi Aramco now uses Service pack 2 have been for about 2-3 months now, their network is so complex and intricate, that bill gates himself came to check it out!

SP2 problems

We're planning to use it on our corporate network (2500+ clients) - we've only come across a few problems:

WINDOWS FIREWALL - Most of the applications we have tested work fine, a few have encountered problems with the windows firewall, however as we have multiple security platforms in place we don't need Windows Firewall so it is disabled via group policy.

DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION - This has been a royal pain in the a** as it has caused havoc with a number of apps. We're looking at disabling this via group policy, however so far we've only been able to get round it by editing boot.ini and changing the /NoExecute option to include "ALWAYS OFF".

ANONYMOUS USER'S REMOTE ACCESS IN DCOM SECURITY - disabled by SP2 by default, but a number of applications (inc. Cold, Diskeeper) require this anonymous connection - we are currently looking into the impact of leaving a security hole open.

Anyone come across a way that DEP can be disabled via group policy/quest?

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back