SP2 Continually Restarting (not AMD64 or UMAX)

Ketchupisyourfriend

OSNN Senior Addict
Ok, I need some help here. I'll go through the process step by step so maybe somebody can give me an idea of what I need to do.

1. I was running XP with SP1 installed and I noticed that when I hooked my old DVD drive back up it would crash before windows got started. I stuck in my XP cd and did a repair install. However, I accidentally used the XP cd with SP2 integrated in it instead of SP1.

2. The computer boots up and gets stuck in the restart loop that is also seen with AMD64 processors and the UMAX scanner drivers. I'll state right now that I don't have either of those. The solutions to both of those problems involve going into safe mode. I CANNOT get to safe mode. I edited the boot.ini to implement that solution anyway, just in case. Still no luck

3. I stuck in the XP/SP1 cd and tried a repair install hoping that it would go back to SP1 and not have the problem. No luck, it still reboots.

4. I installed XP/SP2 onto another folder (windows2) on the same drive and same partition. It works just fine, in fact that's what I'm on right now.

I imagine I could do a clean install over the old windows installation and it would work. However, I really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling/reconfiguring everything if there is any way possible to get around it. I'd like to get back to SP1 if possible, but it doesn't matter too much (as long as it works).

Any help would be appreciated.

AMD Athlon 2400+
ECS K7S5A Pro
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Let me know if you need more info, I've been at it for a while and am going crazy. It's not inconceivable to think I left something out. Thanks in advance everybody.

you allready did most of what i would of done but i figured i bump you see maybe anyone else has a idea if you havent allready fixed stuff.

where did you get the sp2 integrated cd? if you made it yourself than this post will not help but there might be a file on there that has some remnants of the hardware of who ever created the cd...there is a way to burn a copy of windows xp with a hardware profile in it so that windows will see that it is using the same hardware and activation won't be made invalid...just wondering...

a couple of thoughts...

Unfortunately I don't think backing out of SP2 to SP1 will ever work. Have you tried the recovery console? Disable all unecessary services, just keep the ones you need to logon. I would even disable networking.

Have you tried opening the event logs of the 1st OS from the event viewer in the 2nd OS? This might give an indication of what is causing the reboot.

if you have the time, dig around for a while. i would hate to reload xp as well.

Did this ever get fixed? - I have something like this now on an old Duron machine :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back