SP1 with?

T

tomsxp1

Hello Everyone: Does anyone have xp preinstalled home edition and did you install the SP1 with the SP1RevryFix.exe? I wanted to know if there are still any problems with this, since the Fix was installed too?

Hipster: Let me explain, SP1 was not good for people with Preinstalled xp, there was trouble using the System Recovery after downloading the SP1, so HP was telling people Not to download SP1 until they got a Patch for the problem and that Patch is called SP1RevryFix.exe ! SO, now i can download SP1 but the Patch has to be downloaded too, it can be done before or after the download! There is suppose to be No more problems with the System Restore from then on! I just wanted to know if any one has had any problems after downloading Both? Hope i explained it right.

Ok I understand your question partly due to the fact I remember reading something about that problem. Well as for an answer I don't have one has I don't have an HP computer.

Can see clearly where your coming from now. Can't help though, mine wasn't preinstalled.

Not sure this will help you or provide the answers you are looking for but....go here.

This took awhile to find.

However, finally got it. Read thru it, do what ya gotta do. I have installed SP1 and have not had any problems with it!

My 2 cents, if I were you - I would install SP1 and the heck with HP System Recovery as others have said it doen't work anyway.

I have not used HP System Recovery - so don't know if that works or not.:confused:

I wish it were that simple, but its not! If a person has xp Preinstalled, then they have to have System Recovery because No Disks come with the xp preinstalled, My System Recovery works just fine, but if you download SP1 without the downloading the SP1RevryFix.exe either before or after, then the System Recovery may not work on your pc anymore! At least that is the understanding i got from HP!

tomsxp1 - the problem was with non-destructive recovery - it appears the destructive recovery will and always has worked just fine!

There are other options - I have already imaged my hdd - so no matter what happens with the hdd- I have 21 cds of the original image of both the hidden partition and all the other installed prgrams etc.

Also you can purchase Recovery cd's from HP.

In the case of a total hdd failure one had better have something besides the hidden partition to rely on. I went for the overkill and have the both HP Recovery cds and made the image!

DamnYank: Smart move. I also like to over kill, you can only go wrong with underKill! I have yet to know how to >>>>>>There are other options - I have already imaged my hdd - so no matter what happens with the hdd- I have 21 cds of the original image of both the hidden partition and all the other installed prgrams etc. <<<< I have the seven disks that will reinstall to factory specs but thats it, and I never had trouble with the Non Destructive System Recovery! I just get tired of putting all my Tweaks and shortcuts back in! I just got this back from HP repair because i had No Safe Mode on this pc! Come to find out, it was a corrupt registry! Works fine now.

tomsxp1 - not sure if that was a question or not - but anyway there are some programs about that work just fine for the image. I use Drive Image 2002, and there is also Norton's System Ghost.

Which one is best can be answered 1000 times on this forum and it pretty much all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

You can do a search for Drive Image 2002 or Norton System Ghost on this forum and give the threads a read.

Drive Image here

Norton Ghost here

DamnYank, Will you do me a favor and go to the last site about System Restore that you linked to me and let me know if you see the Right side of the information it is giving (at the very right) i had to scroll to the right to read the right end but it was missing the end words on the screen, i want to know if its the same when you are reading it? Remember the right end of the printed page is missing the end's of the words!

Hipster Doofus
Thanks, I did that and it showed all the printing even to the right end! But i just wanted to make sure that it was missing on other peoples pc's too! I had a pc Last year that did that to me on some forums or anywhere there was wide print on a web page and i found out the pc was defective and i took it back! Just want to make sure.

oh oh i better look into this a little more, Thanks for letting me know.

tomsxp1 - yes, does it on mine also - cuts the words off until you click on the X on the left hand side - I think it has something to do with the resolution you have your monitor set at!

I have the same thing happen on this forum from time to time where the posts appear too wide and I was told it is because of the resolution setting I am using!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back