SP1 + Windows Messenger

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Firstly I don't use windows messenger.
Prior to installing sp1 I renamed the messenger folder to 'messengeroff'. The shortcut to it in the start menu lost the icon & I left it there in case I wanted to use it.
Anyway after a clean install of xp & sp1 I again named the folder 'messengeroff'. Now when I look in the start menu the messenger icon is still associated with the shortcut. It does not pop up when I open Outlook Express. When I clicked the shortcut icon it went looking for the messenger program, then stopped searching but I can't see what it did.
Anybody else who turns off messenger that way noticed this??

not sure man, i found messenger to be a complete pain in the ass. i couldnt even uninstall it from the add/remove programs area through the windows components either.

i just renamed the msmsgs.exe file so it cant be found anymore and deleted the shortcuts manually

dunno about in SP1, but in regular old vanilla XP, here's how you uninstall Messenger:

1) edit the "sysoc.inf" file, found in c:\windows\inf\, and do a search-and-replace for all the "HIDE" words...replace them with nothing (not a space, just nothing) and make sure you keep the commas intact.
2) save and close it; open up Add/Remove Programs
3) click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left
4) you can now uninstall crap that MS installed under your nose, like:
- Indexing Service (you can also disable it in your Services)
- MSN Explorer
- Windows Automatic Updates
- Windows Messenger

found that a more permenant way of removing Messenger rather than just renaming the directory/executable

Best known way to uninstall Messenger, in Run:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Reboot, et voilà

I don't want to delete just turm it off. Less chance od deleting something that you might need. I was just wondering if anyone else that renames the folder has the same issue as me after installing SP1.

in SP1, MS had to make all of their bundled software optional. So to remove Messenger you should be able to go to

Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components and then scroll to the bottom of the window that appears, there will be Messenger there, untick and click OK.

You can also use this to remove Outlook Express and Internet Explorer quite why you would want to I am not sure but there you go.

Been searching through and this is the nearest thread I can find , but I see Messenger login in all the time I have tried everything I can think of to stop it keep login in. Even though it is closed I keep getting alerts and people on line alerts. I want it when I want it not all the flaming time.:mad:
Any tips on this
Ven:mad:

One way & it might be the long way is to rename the messenger folder.
C:\Program Files\Messenger. Rename it to something like MessengerOff.
When you want to use it though you will again have to rename the folder back to Messenger.

It seems somehow there are two here although I ran the command
And completely removed it it still as now keeps showing up in Windows Task manager (msmsgs.exe)and trying to log in.
This is driving me nuts!!
I did a DNS search on it and it is Hotmail it is login in to.
ven

Originally posted by -+={©Yahoo©}=+-
It seems somehow there are two here although I ran the command
And completely removed it it still as now keeps showing up in Windows Task manager (msmsgs.exe)and trying to log in.
This is driving me nuts!!
I did a DNS search on it and it is Hotmail it is login in to.
ven

go to Start --> Run
and type in "msconfig"
click on the Startup tab on the righthand side
UNcheck "msmsgs"
hit Apply, OK, then reboot

Thanks in the end I resorted to heavy handed approach and removed all from the registry of the ip address that was login in to msn and then re ran the uninstall and it seems to have gone.
I do use MSN but I don't want it logged in telling everyone I am on line all day long!!
No way could I get this to stay off line.
Looks like I need something like trillian to have more control over it!!
Thanks for the replay's.
But there has to be a better solution to this, after all you are now supposed to be able to remove this now, seems not!
Ven

messenger is a cancer!!!!! eating away at precious resources!!!

I do use MSN but I don't want it logged in telling everyone I am on line all day long!!
No way could I get this to stay off line.
Looks like I need something like trillian to have more control over it!!
Thanks for the replay's.
But there has to be a better solution to this, after all you are now supposed to be able to remove this now, seems not!
Ven

Your fight is well ummm... futile if you log on to MSN as u say Messenger is a required Component for that software if it detects its not there it will download it and reinstall it on your pc. My gf uses MSN and she checked her mail using my computer which I had just deleted messenger off of and it redownloaded it and installed it.

May be that is what I was seeing and silently installing even though I ran it out of Control panel remove windows components and the only way I could stop this as I say was to search the registry and remove every key!!
I will not be assimilated!!
ven

Well next time you restart your computer and log back on the net we will see if thats whats happening to you.

OK, if you have applied XP SP1 then you should have a "Set Program Access and Defaults".

If you haven't seen this before it enables you to turn off completely any Microsoft components you don't want. For example if you use NetScape then you can turn off IE.

This was the ruling the US Justice Dept. enforced on MS to allow other companies i.e. Real, NetScape etc to gain a fair chance at integrating their own products with XP, 2000 etc.

I've tried it with browsers but not Messenger, give it a go and see what happens.

yes but messenger is technically a part of MSN not windows, which is how I think they got around it.

That is a joke touch anything in the there and Moneysoft takes back over. Watch Media player do the same. I use jet audio, everytime I looked in there it set Media player back as default I had to go around and untick the file assosiations. Then the same with MSN remove it as I said earlier then it looks like it does a silent install.
Its a joke.!.
More control my ass more headaches if you want what you want
ven

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back