SP1 renders hacked uxtheme.dll useless ?

J

Jazzhound

Hi I'm new here. Just been lurking and reading mostly, but today I applied the SP1 from MS's site and after reboot my theme disappeared. I don't use StlyeXP, but the hacked uxtheme.dll method.

Anyone had this trouble as well and what can be done to fix this?

Much thanks,

jH

Look at this thread.

I downloaded that and installed it on two Windows XP SP1 systems and it works beautifully.

Thanks guys.

For those interested in staying away from the bloatness of StyleXP (different strokes for different folks) here is what I did.

Initially installed the old patcher which I got months ago and applied the my themes. After I installed my SP1 via web update, neither patcher would work. I had to go back and rename my uxtheme.bak back to uxtheme.dll as well as the one in Dllcache directory (though I suspect this may not be necessary). After doing that, patch it with the new patcher and reboot. Everything should be fixed.

Important thing here is to revert everything back to it's original state, then start over with the the updated patcher.

Keep in mind that before SP1, Xp kept a DLL cache folder that it could replace what the OS would consider defective DLL's. It is a fail safe built into Windows XP. After SP1 however it adds a third directory in WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 as well. It can pull "healthy" dll files from either of these. If you find that after a week or two that the patched theme dll no longer works, you will need to copy the patched dll file into BOTH the dll cache folder [\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache] and the i386 folder listed above. That way if it even replaces the patched theme dll in the system32 folder, it will replace it with an identicle patched dll.

Strange you call stylexp bloatware, but I have it set to run at startup patch the necessary memory or file and then it closes.

Sorted. Other than that, we tested AndyPs app extensively before we released it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back