Sp1 & Nsw 2002

damnyank

I WILL NOT FORGET 911
I am getting a Malicious Script Detected whenever I open Help & Support & do a search or close the Help and Support page -both is being caused by the helpctr.exe.

To the best of my knowledge it has only started happening after I installed SP1. I have script blocking enabled and am current in all NSW updates.

I think I am at the point of having to either uninstall and reinstall NSW 2002 or uninstall and reinstall SP1 - or heaven forbid both!

My question is which should I try first? I am leaning towards NSW.

Any ideas - I went to another forum and got help in that they could not duplicate it - but other than that - no one seemed to know too much about it.

Figured I check with the XP-erts here and see if perhaps NE1 knew any more!

I have been through the read, etc on the security hole and the deletion of files blah,blah,blah.

I have downloaded and run the XPdite mini utility and says that I have SP1 installed with a "safe replacement entry" - thus I am leery of doing the reinstall thing on SP1 - everything else appears to work okay!

Do I dare let the script run one time - even though NAV says it is malicious?? Should I be safe - since I have the "safe replacement entry"?

Thanx in advance for any sugegstions - other than reformat!:D

Thanks for the link - but I have already been there and mentioned in my previous post that I ran XPdite and got the "safe replacement entry".

NE1 else with some ideas?

Well, my Nav2002 found nothing on Saturday and House Call found nothing just now. So it appears, no virus!

I had everything shut down during SP1 d/l and install - including my Zone Alarm and NAV.

I am tempted to just go ahead and allow the script to run one time and see what happens - I guess I'll try that later this week after I have a chance to image/backup!;)

Ok. Sorry I cold be of more help. Good Luck

dy - I have script blocking enabled and installed SP 1 but have not run into this problem. But NSW 2003 has begun shipping, so.....

you got me worried there .....I had the same thing after install XP SP-1.....are you on dialup or broadband? isn't helpctr.exe trying to connect to MS site? I even have an IP detected by my firewall for you if you can do something with it....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back