Sound Trouble

M

Mechanic

I am having a sound problem which I have tried my best to solve, I have spent a week and several reinstalls attempting to fix this problem so I have come here as a last hope.

The problem occurs in both windows and applications / games. I experience sound pops, cracks or static when my system plays a "rough or raw" sound as I would describe it, such as a tank / car engine or a large explosion. This is just a sound issue, as in it does not cause lag or crashes just annoying sound.

Here is what I have done so far:

FRESH REINSTALL
PCI Sound Card - Creative Live! Value
Installed Latest Drivers

Result : Sound Popping and cracking in games.

I tried the windows drivers for the card and the ones on the Internet, I also downloaded Intel Application Accelerator and my chipset drivers. I tried installing Direct X 8.1 for XP which is found on the cover CD on the official Windows XP mag. I experimented with sound acceleration in DXDIAG. All these proved to not help the problem in the slightest.

I then removed the Creative Live Value card and tried it in a system using Windows ME this system also experianced sound issues with the card which indicates the card could be faulty. To further test this I put the card which was in the ME system, a PCI Creative Vibra 128, into the XP system. I know this is not a great card but the ME system had no troubles with this card.

Result : Still having sound problems at the same situations but now I get static instead of popping and cracking.

So I have tried two different cards and I still get sound issues when playing a rough / raw sound the only change in swapping cards was the type of distortion noise. I have also tried another set of speakers and the problem was identical. I also tried the card in another PCI slot. This card used to work fine with no problems until one day I suddenly noticed sound errors.

Question: Have I got two bad sound cards, Is it a windows XP issue / setting OR do I have some kind of motherboard / PCI bus Problem.

Extra Information:
Dell Dimension 8200
Dell Motherboard with 850 chipset (NO Onboard Sound)
P4 2.0Ghz
512 RDRAM
GeForce 4 Ti4600
Windows XP Home

Any ideas people?

Apart from buying a new sound card, I'd rather get the old one working correctly again, I don't know what to do.

did you check Sound and Audio Devices in the control panel?
when you mute the sound through a 3d party program like real player..there will be no sound till you set it on in the same program.
your sound card is ok.wish you best luck.

I don't quite know what you mean but also I don't have any third party programs, just a fresh windows install, my sound drivers and updates for other devices and windows.

So, this can't be anything like a third party program interfering, I don't know what you mean about muting, I am hearing sound its just not as it should be.

Originally posted by Mechanic
I am hearing sound its just not as it should be.

so go to control panel dude then click on Sound and Audio Devices. Increase the device volume.and don't forget the speakers volume,too.

I am not having a volume problem, my sound is clicking and popping. Nothing to do with volume. I need to know if this is a windows problem, sound card problem or motherboard problem.

just go there and see your settings
did you use the same speakers on windows me?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back