Sound Recorder in XP Pro won't Record :(

Dan04

OSNN Addict
Hi Everyone,

At my current place of employment (a High School), we have 2 types of accounts the administrator accounts and student accounts with the only obvious difference that the student accounts are locked down a tad to prevent students from doing too many bad things! :p

The trouble i am facing is when using a microphone on a admin account you can hear yourself through the computer speakers and you can record no matter wat is set up in volume control, log on as a student and it doesnt matter what you touch when you go to record its like there is no microphone! nor can you hear yourself talk through the computer speakers but windows sounds play fine.

Any ideas, Suggestions?, need more info plz let me know

I realise i havent gone into much detail atm but i could spend years describing the whole situation and how it is all set up lol

Any feedback is very much appreciated

Regards,

Daniel Rossi

Yeah here is an idea ask the teacher why and if they mind you not doing your class work and if they feel it is ok to mess with the setup's ..

lol

I agree with Kermit. And I don't condone what you are doing at school, but there is a microphone mute setting that must not be checked for the microphone to work. On you home computer, double-click on the speaker in the systray and you will see what I am refering to. If the microphone settings are not showing, go to the options and check the microphone item.

Dan04 said:
The trouble i am facing is when using a microphone on a admin account you can hear yourself through the computer speakers and you can record no matter wat is set up in volume control, log on as a student and it doesnt matter what you touch when you go to record its like there is no microphone! nor can you hear yourself talk through the computer speakers but windows sounds play fine.

If you already have access to admin account then why do you want to mess with the locked down ones?

umm u lot didnt quite get me i am a techie at a high school and even the network administrator cannot get it to work properly

Kermit_The_Frog - no friggin idea wat ur on about

wingman411 - umm i am doing my job! ie trying to get something to work that should (admin account it all works, student-locked down account does not)

wingman411 - Yeh already done all that before i replied here unfortunately its not that easy as it doesnt work under a student account

American Zombie - i have to mess with the locked down ones because the sound recorder program and microphone should work under the locked down accounts but obviously it doesnt and thats y im on here asking for any ideas on how to fix it besides make sure microphone and all the related volume levels are checked etc - i have to mess with them because students need to record sound for their assignments

Not trying to sound like im bit**y coz i am not but if all you lot gonna do is reply with smartass remarks then dont bother ill go to other forums where ppl actually help and not reply with stupidass answers to get ther no of posts count up

"Not trying to sound like im bit**y coz i am not but if all you lot gonna do is reply with smartass remarks then dont bother ill go to other forums where ppl actually help and not reply with stupidass answers to get ther no of posts count up"

See ya !

All jokes aside I have found that for the company training DVD's to work properly on a restricted account I needed to first create the account as an Admin account then when all was installed and was what I wanted I then dropped the account to a much lower level and everything worked. I wonder if it is not something like that , or like as an Admin you need to run everything one time, like office does that needs a run as Admin first. Dunno really !

thank u for no more joking lol, we have tried something very similar to that and it works then wen u put the lockdown on then boom it doesnt wanna know that a microphone is connected, just very hard to try and id wat is doing it something to do with permissions tried giving it permissions in the registry but that didnt work may try and check the policies maybe something there?

also i really aint allowed to fiddle with the account settings ie remove all permissions n keep going till u find the one it fails on as its time consuming and also incase something goes wrong eek kinda hard aint it wen not exactly having much to work with

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back